theForum

Two topics - Depression and a "Virtual Prison"

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25911.aspx

By Jonathan61 - 21 Feb 19 10:42 AM

Hi all,

Was wondering how you all cope with your emotions? One day everything appears OK and I'm able to cope, the next I get depressed. To give some examples, only yesterday I was looking online for a job (why I don't know, as I'm unemployable) and I saw one or two "potential" jobs. However, the realisation dawned that there was just no-way I could ever get the job as it would be facing the general public and that could have the potential to place me at risk of assault. Next, I find a job that would be OK. As I am not prepared to go through a long application process, I go and see the manager and explain about my difficulties. He told me to send him something by email and he would reply in 24 hours. That was a week ago and still I've heard nothing!

Why do we have to put up with this? Are we not allowed to have some common courtesy even though we have a conviction?

Plus - the benefit system doesn't help. Do we really have to struggle on Universal Credit till we become pensionable age?

Secondly, due to the realisation I'm unemployable, do you feel the powers that be have you almost in total lockdown? Restrictions on almost everything put us in "Virtual Prisons." Yes we can live and move in society, but they will never let you go, always the fear of being watched so you're stuck.

Anyone else like this?

Regards

Jonathan
By Thorswrath - 2 Apr 19 8:05 PM

DisplacedR - 1 Apr 19 11:52 AM
Jonathan61 - 21 Feb 19 10:42 AM

Hi Jonathan,
 You sound exactly how I feel! I was released from prison exactly 3 years ago and recalled after 5 months before being released again after 7 months. So I've now been out 2 years and I feel like I have got no closer to 'being free'. I often refer to still being in a prison. It's hard to see it any other way as no matter what you do you just don't seem to be allowed to move on. 
 When I was first released, my main probation officer was in a different area than I was so I had a caretaker probation officer who worked with me on her behalf. The caretaker was ok but not really helpful and the main one was completely useless! So I didn't get much support in order to try to rebuild my life. There was also a couple of people at the job centre who specifically worked with ex-offenders to help them find suitable work. Then once I got out the last time, probation was rubbish still and to top it off, the job centre got rid of the sector that helped ex-offenders. This means that we are treated the same as every other 'customer' when the reality is, we are far from!
 As for housing..... wow. Just no chance really. I was released to an approved premises hostel and getting a property to move on was extremely difficult! There are so many barriers to housing as well as jobs that you feel like there is no point in even being alive! My case worker in the hostel (who really was just an amazing woman in general) managed to get a landlord to let a room to me. The room was ok, the house was horrible and the garden was literally piled up with rubbish bags that stunk the whole house out! But I took it because I knew that I was 'lucky' to have the opportunity to get on with my life. So things at this time was looking more positive (just needed to demolish that wall into employment)... then, it was posted on the internet what area i was in, details of my offence (some inaccurate may I add!) And my photo. I no longer felt safe in shared accommodation and I left the area for a while. I only went back because I am in a relationship and my partner lives in that area. But it meant that as well as no job still, I now had no accommodation again. All of this of course puts a strain on my relationship too. Everything has a knock-on effect and never seems to balance out and get better.
 I managed to get a job at a warehouse, which I knew was pure fluke, but after a week my partner and I had an argument and I had to move out. I don't drive and couldn't get back to the job from where I was, so I had to leave it! We are back together but now I'm jobless again.... And I recently was informed by an agency that I was with for 7-8 months (despite being honest and disclosing my conviction when signing up with them) that due to my conviction they can not offer any jobs to me! I contacted them several times in those months and not once did they say anything! I am livid!
 And after all the hassle I've experienced, I have now hit rock bottom. I am now in a situation where, I can't live with my partner until I have a job because it's not fair on her (or myself even) that she has to support me as well as herself and her flat. I am now living in the area where I was convicted (definitely feels like a prison as I can't leave my mum's  house without fear of being seen), so I can't get a job around here, don't drive so can't really work outside of the town either. Jib centre is threatening to sanction me if I don't apply for jobs (but like myself, he doesn't know where I can work, what jobs I can go for, what help I can get... but I'm expected to know?!)... the way I see it, there is only 2 options for me. Prostitute myself or end it all. 

Have you considered writing to your local MP? i did it once, not that it really changed anything and i only got a standard 'more people are now in employment' letter. The point is, if people don't have any understanding of the actual situations we find ourselves in then nothing will change. it's not about making a 'complaint' because that would be in poor taste, but more about educating people. employment reduces the conviction rate is a mantra banded around by others but people in the government have never really sat down and looked at how actual 'rehabilitation' of offenders works in practice.

I would say 80% of my rehabilitation has been done off my own back with my own resourcefulness and willingness to learn and adapt. The problem RSO's face specifically with employment is this ingrained belief in the general public and the gutter press that this group of offenders can't be rehabilitated. And there is the shame factor, even being associated with an RSO for whatever reason can cause problems, all based around fear and prejudice. Despite the public's fear and disgust, Low to medium risk RSO's have one of the lowest rates of recidivism amongst the criminal population but you try to tell that to people and it goes in one ear and out the other.

If i were you i would consider googling charities and organisations specifically geared towards helping ex offenders such as APM mentioned by Mr W. There is also NACRO who are useful. It seems like a tremendous amount of hoops to jump through just so someone can basically say to an employer 'yeah this one's OK give him a shot' but if you stop trying and give up then you are just allowing the myth that offenders can't be rehabilitated to continue. Eventually in life if you keep trying, keep getting back up and your intentions are good the universe just stops for a second and lets you through, that's what i believe.