theForum

Can MOSOVO officers be offered evidence that disclosure is unecessary?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic25948.aspx

By AndyR - 15 Mar 19 10:22 AM

Mr W - 12 Mar 19 2:48 AM
Blackbird - 11 Mar 19 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, greatly appreciated! I've had the meeting now, and it went pretty well. There will be a further meeting to go over my home PC and meet my wife, but in the meantime my officer will check with her Inspector about what will need doing. I showed them the work laptop, which I'm able to bring home with me, so I can make available to them any time they want to see it, and I've proved that there is restriction software in place. I'll go over the contract more thoroughly, and if it comes to disclosing I'll check with them whether they can do it without revealing who they're asking about. My SHPO does state that the "prohibition shall not apply to a computer at his place of work", so hopefully that combined with my cooperation and (hopefully) their positive opinion of me will make me a low enough risk to not need to disclose. 

I'm glad your meeting went well. I'm also glad to hear your wife has stood by you.

Now this is interesting. I googled "prohibition shall not apply to a computer at his place of work" and only 2018 results came up. I wonder if this is a new line that is put in to help people get back to work. I'm finding this issue a HUGE barrier. My order does not say either way whether it affects work or not but my draconian copper has just decided it does.

Anyone have any info on that line?
"Anyone have any info on that line?"
Just a straw in the wind really, but my probation officer has told me that supposed to be a greater focus on offenders building a new life now, so they may be more accepting or arguments that support that.

By Outsourced - 16 Mar 19 12:11 AM

I would suggest that those with civil orders looking for jobs, simply send all the Job specs and employers info to the PPU and  formally request that they provide an assessment prior to your job application. 

They will soon get snowed under with tens of thousands of risk assessment requests and seek to get rid of the burden. 

Don't wait until you get the offer and wait for the dreaded assessment. Be pro active. Then your success at interview can be backed up,with the fact that the Highest authority in the land have APPROVED the job. 

Worked for me. 
By AB2014 - 19 Mar 19 8:57 AM

AndyR - 15 Mar 19 10:22 AM
Mr W - 12 Mar 19 2:48 AM
Blackbird - 11 Mar 19 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, greatly appreciated! I've had the meeting now, and it went pretty well. There will be a further meeting to go over my home PC and meet my wife, but in the meantime my officer will check with her Inspector about what will need doing. I showed them the work laptop, which I'm able to bring home with me, so I can make available to them any time they want to see it, and I've proved that there is restriction software in place. I'll go over the contract more thoroughly, and if it comes to disclosing I'll check with them whether they can do it without revealing who they're asking about. My SHPO does state that the "prohibition shall not apply to a computer at his place of work", so hopefully that combined with my cooperation and (hopefully) their positive opinion of me will make me a low enough risk to not need to disclose. 

I'm glad your meeting went well. I'm also glad to hear your wife has stood by you.

Now this is interesting. I googled "prohibition shall not apply to a computer at his place of work" and only 2018 results came up. I wonder if this is a new line that is put in to help people get back to work. I'm finding this issue a HUGE barrier. My order does not say either way whether it affects work or not but my draconian copper has just decided it does.

Anyone have any info on that line?
"Anyone have any info on that line?"
Just a straw in the wind really, but my probation officer has told me that supposed to be a greater focus on offenders building a new life now, so they may be more accepting or arguments that support that.

It's true that probation have a greater focus on building a new life, but they can only really offer risk management. They can also only speak for themselves, and they have always been clear with me that the police have their own agenda and different priorities....
By Blackbird - 10 Apr 19 4:53 PM

Finally had the result - based on the company paperwork I was able to provide, mosovo were satisfied that the company had sufficient measures in place and I don't need to disclose to them. 'Phew' doesn't quite cover it...!
By AB2014 - 11 Apr 19 8:49 AM

Blackbird - 10 Apr 19 4:53 PM
Finally had the result - based on the company paperwork I was able to provide, mosovo were satisfied that the company had sufficient measures in place and I don't need to disclose to them. 'Phew' doesn't quite cover it...!

That is excellent news! Smile It's always a pleasant surprise to hear that "the system" is working for everyone for a change.
By Blackbird - 8 Mar 19 8:18 AM

I've recently been convicted, and have been issued a SHPO pertaining to use of devices that connect to the internet. My probation officer has informed me that my MOSOVO officer, who I'll be meeting on monday, is going to say that I need to inform my employers, as I use a computer for work.
I've only been in this job for a few weeks, and was incredibly lucky to get it so quickly. I didn't need to disclose at the time of signing the contract because I hadn't been charged at that point. Obviously I'm concerned that disclosing may lead to dismissal, since I'm on my probation period, but the employer has software in place that monitors usage and blocks unwanted/NSFW sites. My question is, do MOSOVO officers have to follow a simple "conviction X means you automatically have to disclose" formula, or can I present the companies documents and contract, and offer them access to my work laptop whenever they need it, to persuade them that disclosure is not needed in my case - I can't do anything dodgy, and with the therapy and 12 step work I've been doing (which my probation officer can attest to), I've honestly not wanted to since my arrest. I'm hoping that if they can have the same access to the work laptop that they'd expect for all my other devices, they'd be satisfied.
Thanks.