theForum

Changing your name and applying to have SOPO conditions remove or SOR requirements -

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26525.aspx

By JASB - 24 Oct 19 12:00 PM

Hi
I have written other articles on removing SOPO conditions and the process I have followed but my most recent application created an adverse scenario I thought I would mention.

I am past the 5 year benchmark but still seek to gain the support of my PPU in my applications to remove my final SOPO conditions in readiness to apply to be removed from the SOR.

Though the PPU wrote negative remarks concerning 2 conditions; the words used actually contradicted the Judges and CPS sentencing comments that are on record but that is for another day, they did support the removal of others.

I then applied to the Court to have the "PPU approved" conditions removed expecting that as previously had happened it would be a "admin" task so no appearance. I was wrong.

It seems that Judges at various Courts have agreed that; even PPU approved, applications need the individual to appear in open Court with no reporting restrictions imposed.

Now you may wonder were my words are going and I will now address that thought.

Like many of us ex-offenders we have changed our names to protect both our families and ourselves and go to great lengths to maintain this protection. Given this is also advised by Probation it is common practice.

However what is the point of all that effort when a Court requires you to attend open Court with the high possibility of the press being in attendance to report and so disclose your new name!
Though I am determined not to be deterred in my objectives and not feel sorry for myself, I have to express my sorrow and dismay at today's "society" which takes every opportunity to impede the ability of someone to demonstrate rehabilitation and deny integration back into society.

By JASB - 31 Dec 19 12:59 PM

Harmless - 29 Dec 19 7:46 PM
JASB - 24 Oct 19 12:00 PM
Hi
I have written other articles on removing SOPO conditions and the process I have followed but my most recent application created an adverse scenario I thought I would mention.

I am past the 5 year benchmark but still seek to gain the support of my PPU in my applications to remove my final SOPO conditions in readiness to apply to be removed from the SOR.

Though the PPU wrote negative remarks concerning 2 conditions; the words used actually contradicted the Judges and CPS sentencing comments that are on record but that is for another day, they did support the removal of others.

I then applied to the Court to have the "PPU approved" conditions removed expecting that as previously had happened it would be a "admin" task so no appearance. I was wrong.

It seems that Judges at various Courts have agreed that; even PPU approved, applications need the individual to appear in open Court with no reporting restrictions imposed.

Now you may wonder were my words are going and I will now address that thought.

Like many of us ex-offenders we have changed our names to protect both our families and ourselves and go to great lengths to maintain this protection. Given this is also advised by Probation it is common practice.

However what is the point of all that effort when a Court requires you to attend open Court with the high possibility of the press being in attendance to report and so disclose your new name!
Though I am determined not to be deterred in my objectives and not feel sorry for myself, I have to express my sorrow and dismay at today's "society" which takes every opportunity to impede the ability of someone to demonstrate rehabilitation and deny integration back into society.

One never quite relinquishes one's old name. One gains a name. To the police one has an AKA. Ask, via your lawyer, to be treated under your old name.

Hi harmless,

I am sure this is a question I asked many moons ago and they will not as all records use my new details. Sad