theForum

Travelling on ESTA with conviction

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26539.aspx

By Wxm92 - 30 Oct 19 11:39 AM

Hello, I know this has sort of been covered in previous posts but I wanted abit of clarification. I plan to travel to Las Vegas next year but am worried about my conviction flagging up. I got given a 2 year sentence in 2013 for possession with intent to supply class A. I have been squeaky clean since and have not had any other offences. I have a trip planned to Vegas to celebrate finishing my degree. I have already had an esta approved but was worried if my fingerprints will flag up on the cbp officers computer. I know they don’t have direct access to police national computer but they do have access to Interpol, would my offence be on Interpol it is that just for serious offenders? Also I wanted to know if there is anyone on here who has travelled on an esta with convictions who has been all right or if anyone has had problems.

Thank you in advance
By AB2014 - 20 Nov 19 2:09 PM

JASB - 20 Nov 19 2:02 PM
AB2014 - 19 Nov 19 11:58 AM
forever changes - 19 Nov 19 11:45 AM
AB2014 - 6 Nov 19 10:36 AM
scotboy - 1 Nov 19 10:48 PM
Wxm92 - 30 Oct 19 11:39 AM
Hello, I know this has sort of been covered in previous posts but I wanted abit of clarification. I plan to travel to Las Vegas next year but am worried about my conviction flagging up. I got given a 2 year sentence in 2013 for possession with intent to supply class A. I have been squeaky clean since and have not had any other offences. I have a trip planned to Vegas to celebrate finishing my degree. I have already had an esta approved but was worried if my fingerprints will flag up on the cbp officers computer. I know they don’t have direct access to police national computer but they do have access to Interpol, would my offence be on Interpol it is that just for serious offenders? Also I wanted to know if there is anyone on here who has travelled on an esta with convictions who has been all right or if anyone has had problems.

Thank you in advance

UK passports  only have facial biometrics no fingerprints unlike the EU which has both.Did you travel to US before your conviction if so they will have your fingerprints.
Why not fly via Dublin if anything happens it's a short hop back to Uk better than sitting on a plane for an anxious seven hours or so.you might be able to glean some information from the forums at www.travellerspoint.com or www.urban75.net.....hope it goes well for you. 

I agree with scotboy's advice. Also, Interpol lists are for people the police want to catch, not people they've already caught. There are one or two exceptions, it seems, but that is the proper use of Interpol alerts.

What are fingerprints to do with anything?

When you arrive in the US, they take your fingerprints. They keep them on file to prevent anyone else using your ID, and presumably to check that you don't overstay. They don't delete them when you leave.

Hi
My son has just returned from the USA and no fingerprints were taken

Good to hear. The DHS say they're doing it at major ports of entry, but if they're not then that's up to them.