theForum

An interesting development in Ireland

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26573.aspx

By AB2014 - 14 Nov 19 8:55 AM

If only someone over here would do the same as this in the UK. Maybe not all politicians are hopeless after all... just British politicians. Sad
By JASB - 20 Nov 19 3:10 PM

AB2014 - 14 Nov 19 3:09 PM
JASB - 14 Nov 19 2:48 PM
AB2014 - 14 Nov 19 8:55 AM
If only someone over here would do the same as this in the UK. Maybe not all politicians are hopeless after all... just British politicians. Sad

Hi AB2014,
You have read / replied to my previous entries on this subject and will be aware I applaud all efforts to ensure ex-offenders gain employment and so help their integration back into society. 

My issue is; and I write this under the caveat that obviously some roles require restricted applications e.g. financial offender working in a bank, but all these reports concern "spent" convictions.
I always ask who is concerned about providing employment for those who convictions are not spent! the answer is no one.
I am having to disclosure for 7 years (end 2023 when i am 67). I have applied for circa 2000 roles well within my experience and skill set and am always rejected when I have to disclose; that includes charity shops.
Having done this for 5 years (2 on licence) I am now told employers are not interested in my application because I have not worked for 8 years.

Listening to the promises of all parties trying to buy our votes, they all promise retraining etc as there are skill shortages but no employer really looks at us ex-offenders.
I believe that is because of the way all ex-offenders are described by politicians and the media so making society scared to believe the truth - there is such a thing as a rehabilitated individual and so an ex-offender.

Take care one and all

I'm sure I've said this on a different thread, but I always find it frustrating when politicians talk about offering financial inducements to employers to employ ex-offenders. First of all, that implies that employers shouldn't do it just because the ex-offender is the best candidate, and secondly because such a scheme would be open to abuse by employers claiming their tax dodge/contributions holiday then dumping the ex-offender and hiring another one.

I usually find that for minimum wage jobs, I'm clearly over 21 and thus too expensive when the minimum wage for an under-21 is £2 per hour/£80 per week/ £4,000 per year cheaper. For jobs above minimum wage, if I get an interview I normally get a comment about how they are happy to employ older candidates, thus proving they're not discriminating against me when they don't give the job to me or anyone else and just re-list it.

I know we're not playing Top Trumps, but for the record, I'll have to keep disclosing until 2061, when I turn 100 and my PNC record is deleted. Can't wait!! Sad

Hi
I think we will both be offering support to others for many days to come.
Look forward to many conversations.