theForum

Applying to jobs with a criminal record acrued through periods of psychosis.

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26580.aspx

By Lu - 17 Nov 19 7:38 PM

I have decided to go back to work after spending 4 month on a mental health ward this year. I have convictions for ridiculous things dating back to 2013 mainly to do with having been in a dire situation and losing it. Each of my cautions and convictions usually led me straight to the psychiatric ward for things like criminal damage and starting fights and swearing in the street when unwell.
This year after getting myself together i landed up in trouble for my behavior again, after having worked for years and spent some time in the cells over night i was carted to the hospital again where i threw a metallic coffee jar and was convicted after years of a clean record for battery (while in hospital.) I have a good work history and lots of experience, despite these bouts of insanity and misfortune and want more than anything to get a job again after having been out of work for almost a year.
 I had two phone interviews the other day ago and have been offered interviews. I havent been asked to disclose yet and know that i have one unspent conviction as well as a host of others from years back. I really hope the employer doesnt ask at interview, but if they do im going to have to explain. I really dont know how to go about this in short. I have a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, but i am now fully medicated and look after myself very well. This is really the first time after years that i have recieved a reason for why i have lost it in the past, but i really dont want to live on thin air and am not yet eligible for benefits. I want more than anything to get routine back in to my life. How would you suggest i approach this?
By JASB - 20 Nov 19 3:04 PM

Lu - 17 Nov 19 7:38 PM
I have decided to go back to work after spending 4 month on a mental health ward this year. I have convictions for ridiculous things dating back to 2013 mainly to do with having been in a dire situation and losing it. Each of my cautions and convictions usually led me straight to the psychiatric ward for things like criminal damage and starting fights and swearing in the street when unwell.
This year after getting myself together i landed up in trouble for my behavior again, after having worked for years and spent some time in the cells over night i was carted to the hospital again where i threw a metallic coffee jar and was convicted after years of a clean record for battery (while in hospital.) I have a good work history and lots of experience, despite these bouts of insanity and misfortune and want more than anything to get a job again after having been out of work for almost a year.
 I had two phone interviews the other day ago and have been offered interviews. I havent been asked to disclose yet and know that i have one unspent conviction as well as a host of others from years back. I really hope the employer doesnt ask at interview, but if they do im going to have to explain. I really dont know how to go about this in short. I have a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, but i am now fully medicated and look after myself very well. This is really the first time after years that i have recieved a reason for why i have lost it in the past, but i really dont want to live on thin air and am not yet eligible for benefits. I want more than anything to get routine back in to my life. How would you suggest i approach this?

Hi

I would like to offer my support and agree with AB2014.

You have not done anything wrong intentionally. Be positive as you are showing the strength and determination that acknowledges your condition but now do not allow it to manage you.
Be confident in the way you explain the condition and your management of it as that will put them at ease as they will / should be able to support you as well. Remember they probably have no idea of the condition.

Prepare your self and be organised for your interview. If you don't get the job FOCUS on the experience you have gained going through the process as it might be a lack of skills and nothing to do with your condition that meant you were not destined for that role but for another.

Good luck, be happy and let us know what happens.