theForum

Applying for a US Visa with criminal convictions

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26770.aspx

By Reformed06 - 20 Dec 19 10:37 PM

Dear all,

Just thought I'd share my experiences when applying for a tourist visa to the US for my upcoming stag. Having been convicted on multiple occassions for minor offences in the mid 2000s I knew getting I'd be ineligible to travel under the ESTA so applying for a visa was my only option. Now, you should know I have travelled to the US previously. A few years prior to this I had a stop over in New York on the way to see an I'll family member in a country not too far from mainland USA. Booking details and visa application we're handled by a third party who was unaware of my history and applied for an ESTA in my name and this came back to trouble me later. Anyway...

Throughout the whole process I was nervous and afraid that I wouldn't be able to get a visa due to all the stories on here and other sites. I applied for a visa through a lengthy online process and was honest about my history including my previous travel to the US. I was eventually invited to interview but told I needed a  my copy of my police certificate. I gathered all the relevant documents and prepared for my interview. 

My certificate had info about my court convictions and I prepared this and a series of other documents which support how I have reformed in character. Some of these documents included Uni degrees, references and evidence of strong links to the UK including children's birth certificates. Although during my actual interview they were not even looked at! 

After my application my interview was scheduled and I attended a few months later. Going to the embassy is intimidating but as long as you've been open and honest in your application form you should be okay. I was interviews firstly by a very stern officer who questioned me to the point I stumbled and couldn't find the right documents when she asked for it. She asked for appointment ticket and some other papers and sent me to wait for the actual interview on the opposite side of the waiting room. When you enter the waiting room floor, security will tell you where to sit. 

I attended second interview and to be fair I was treated with respect, dignity and compassion as the interviewer questioned me around my convictions. Questioning was thorough but fair and I explained what had happened on the past and how I've changed now. After some questioning about my convictions she decided she'd advise I was give a waiver of inadmissibility and she'd recommend me for the full five years. Over the moon I left and awaited instructions to send in my passport. 

After 3 months or so I recieved an email asking about the time I went to the us under the ESTA program. I replied immediately stating that it was booked under circumstances I had no control over whilst being as apologetic as humanly possible. I sent the email and awaited instructions. I waited a further 2 months before emailing for an update only to be informed that they had been trying to contact me to issue my Visa and needed my passport for the last 8 weeks! I instantly sent my passport in and collected in a few days later with a nice fresh us visa sticker in it. 

The moral of this story is always be up front and honest with your history. Throughout this whole ordeal I had people advising me to be dishonest on the application but to truly reform you must accept and acknowledge your past. Experiences like ours build character and we should always see that as a strength. Can't wait to go Vegas!!!
By Simon1983 - 6 Apr 20 9:34 PM

Hi leeon1000

well done on getting the new job,

a good link to look at is 

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-to-the-usa-the-esta-form-and-moral-turpitude/

this talks about travelling to the USA on an ESTA without disclosing your conviction.

in the end the choice is yours, the article makes good reading.

it is important to remember that the USA do not have access to the PNC and there is no information on your conviction on your passport.

if you do take this option then as the article talks about, if in the future you decided that you want to live or go and work over there full time and apply for a work or green card then the fact you traveled on an ESTA will come up as when you apply for a visa you will have to supply a police certificate. As the article talks about Unlock are aware of many many people that have convictions, and some far worse than money laundering, tick no convictions on the ESTA go to the USA for there travel then come home and have no issues.

if you decided that you can’t lie on the ESTA then take a look at these two links from unlock that will help you further 

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-us-need-visa/

https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/travelling-to-america-usa-simple-guide/

if you want to talk to some one then why not what’s app unlock in the morning on 07824 113848 and they will be happy to help or email them advice@unlock.org.uk

they will be happy to talk to you and everything that is discussed is treated in confidence 

All the best in your new job