theForum

Differing recruitment policies and standards of risk assessment for ex-offenders volunteering in Charity shops

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic26992.aspx

By 30sell - 28 Jan 20 10:00 PM

As an ex-offender I have had the opportunity to help the community by paying back through volunteering for charity, retail outlets. These as we know are non-profit making organisations, however they seem to have a varied approach to the recruitment policy and risk assessment of ex-offenders (if they even bother!). What I think needs discussing is that for certain individuals volunteering in this field is, for some, the best way to re-integrate and overcome the usual post-release depression and anxiety. I would like to collate people's experiences and write a piece for theRecord. For an example I have an ex-offender acquaintance who had been volunteering for a charity retail outlet; risen to the dizzy heights of key holder/relief manager; completed 18 months of said same blemish free and then was black balled as the charity suddenly altered their recruitment & retention policy making the unblemished record worthless even with the support of their ex-offender manager (who wrote to the CEO!)and their explanation of the word 'rehabilitation'. It destroyed my acquaintance and their belief of the existence of an understanding society.
By JASB - 28 Feb 20 5:35 PM

Diogenese - 28 Feb 20 2:54 PM
30sell - 28 Jan 20 10:00 PM
As an ex-offender I have had the opportunity to help the community by paying back through volunteering for charity, retail outlets. These as we know are non-profit making organisations, however they seem to have a varied approach to the recruitment policy and risk assessment of ex-offenders (if they even bother!). What I think needs discussing is that for certain individuals volunteering in this field is, for some, the best way to re-integrate and overcome the usual post-release depression and anxiety. I would like to collate people's experiences and write a piece for theRecord. For an example I have an ex-offender acquaintance who had been volunteering for a charity retail outlet; risen to the dizzy heights of key holder/relief manager; completed 18 months of said same blemish free and then was black balled as the charity suddenly altered their recruitment & retention policy making the unblemished record worthless even with the support of their ex-offender manager (who wrote to the CEO!)and their explanation of the word 'rehabilitation'. It destroyed my acquaintance and their belief of the existence of an understanding society.

I have two experiences in this regard. The first was in applying for a paid position with that poppy dependant organisation, the Royal British Legion. Having seen the hundreds of thousands of poppies produced and assembled at HMP Ford, I thought the organisation would have an open minded policy on hiring ex-offenders - not so. When I disclosed, they turned me down flat because of the criminal record - nice.

The second was with the British Heart Foundation, the local outlet were looking for volunteers to handle the phone and book collections and other admin type stuff. The chap was interested until I told him that I was an ex-offender. He had no hesitation in saying that I could not volunteer there, even in a behind-the-scenes capacity.

Everyone is 'understanding' until it comes time for them to step up and put their money where their mouth is - then you see their true colours.

Hi
I liked you post as fully agree with the comments. I may of said earlier but on my - once a year - last PPU visit I was asked why I did not do voluntary work? They then insinuated I was wrong when I said " I do not wish to argue BUT in my experience, organisations will not take on ex-offenders and especially those of a sex offence.
I am still wondering if the Heart foundation will still my heart donation when that time comes around! lol