theForum

Convictions a very long time ago

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27110.aspx

By Oceansized - 12 Feb 20 2:20 PM

Hi All

I had convictions over 45 years ago. Since then I have been law abiding and volunteering for the police for over 15 years. I have always signed in as a visitor and all has been okay. I somehow slipped through the vetting as I am part of the family ;-)
Been informed I now have to fill in the dredded form for past convictions!  I can't remember details from all those years ago when I was under 18 !  How can I put on the form in writing that this was done all these years ago and get a " fair hearing" ? I am hoping that things have changed and as I was a minor this would be taken into consideration?  Any thoughts or suggestions ?  Many thanks 
By AB2014 - 13 Feb 20 10:13 AM

JASB - 12 Feb 20 4:17 PM
Oceansized - 12 Feb 20 2:20 PM
Hi All

I had convictions over 45 years ago. Since then I have been law abiding and volunteering for the police for over 15 years. I have always signed in as a visitor and all has been okay. I somehow slipped through the vetting as I am part of the family ;-)
Been informed I now have to fill in the dredded form for past convictions!  I can't remember details from all those years ago when I was under 18 !  How can I put on the form in writing that this was done all these years ago and get a " fair hearing" ? I am hoping that things have changed and as I was a minor this would be taken into consideration?  Any thoughts or suggestions ?  Many thanks 

Hi
I never class myself as being a "cloak room lawyer", as I try to offer advice from the emotional behaviour aspects of humanity.......
You do not say what the offence was - in ways that does not matter as long it is not one that should bar you from the work - and I would suggest you must have a constructive working relationship with a superior in the Police.

I would again suggest that that person will find out anyway so the positive stance I would take is to approach that person, explain what you can remember and ask for their support/advice and how to complete the form. Remember you have worked there for 15 years so i would assume you have had good feedback on reviews, so use them as references to demonstrate your rehabilitation.

You have shown your courage and determination not to re-offend so carry that with you. If unfortunately you can no longer carry on with that job do not be sad. I am sure you will get a written character support that states your true character but unfortunately the law is the law and so that means you can no longer carry on. 

Good luck and I hope this helps and they believe in rehabilitation.

Between what you said and what JASB said, I'm seeing that you're part of the family, and you also have 15 years' service. Although I always tell people not to look for common sense in the system, you're in the position of being in the tent looking out, and they know you. If it doesn't interfere with your ability to do whatever it is you do, and after all this time I'm thinking it doesn't, then why would they want to get rid of you? There is a document on police vetting policy here, so that might be helpful and/or reassuring.