theForum

Looking to re-employ someone who had to leave the UK to finish a sentence abroad, advice needed

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27145.aspx

By remlucs - 14 Feb 20 9:40 AM

Hi
I am an employer in the UK. We used to have a great employee working for us for about 4 years that got picked up on a minor motoring offence but when they ran his documents, it was found that he was wanted back in Poland for having breached former parole conditions. The original offence, I believe, was drugs related, but I am not sure how serious or what the length of his custodial sentence was. When he got picked up in the UK, he was held on remand for about 5 months and was then returned to Poland where he spent a further 8 months seeing out his sentence.

He now would like to come back and work for us and we are keen to have him re-join. 

What I am looking for is some advice on how we could help him gain settled status, would he get declined or can we help him in some way to secure it? He is re-joining soon and I want to be able to set both his and our expectation of how the process will work and what the most likely outcome would be. I am seeking more precise details as to his original offence, sentence and parole conditions etc but in the meantime, can anyone give me any pointers on how to guide and help him secure settled status please.
Simon
By JASB - 14 Feb 20 6:01 PM

remlucs - 14 Feb 20 9:40 AM
Hi
I am an employer in the UK. We used to have a great employee working for us for about 4 years that got picked up on a minor motoring offence but when they ran his documents, it was found that he was wanted back in Poland for having breached former parole conditions. The original offence, I believe, was drugs related, but I am not sure how serious or what the length of his custodial sentence was. When he got picked up in the UK, he was held on remand for about 5 months and was then returned to Poland where he spent a further 8 months seeing out his sentence.

He now would like to come back and work for us and we are keen to have him re-join. 

What I am looking for is some advice on how we could help him gain settled status, would he get declined or can we help him in some way to secure it? He is re-joining soon and I want to be able to set both his and our expectation of how the process will work and what the most likely outcome would be. I am seeking more precise details as to his original offence, sentence and parole conditions etc but in the meantime, can anyone give me any pointers on how to guide and help him secure settled status please.
Simon

Hi,
With the current mode of thinking going through Parliament I would suggest they will not get the status you mention: if nothing else because he ran away which would be on the HO records.

You say re-joining, has he already been given permission to work here? I appreciate he is EU and we are still attached until Dec, but was he not questioned when he came back into the country after prison? Was his passport not flagged? I only ask these basic questions as you should also be asking him them now.

I assisted a friend once and in the end advised her to get proper legal advice due to the attitude of the HO now.

I am sorry I cannot offer more encouraging words but; and I say this with no racial bias at all, if you are unsuccessful, could you not advertise on Unlock and offer someone the role?

All the best in your worthy task and I will watch your post with interest and learning.