theForum

Will my section 39 common assault conviction be removed now its been 11 years?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27242.aspx

By dave_uk - 24 Feb 20 7:39 PM

Hi, 11 years ago i was arrested for common assault (section 39) i remember on the little form he gave me it did only say common assault section 39 and nothing else.
In that time i have not applied for any new job out of fearing if it got found out I’d lose my current job as i would probably want to look at another job in the place i currently work (NHS) (No patient contact)

I read that after 11 years common assault can be filtered out from DBS checks, does that include standard and enhanced checks?

I read that it can be removed if the conviction was non violent, well yeh i hit someone but it wasn't exactly out of violence as such.

How do i know if what i done was classed as violent? i read on another site if  it was classed as violent then it would have been classed as ABH or GBH?

If that’s the case would i be filtered out? How would i also know the date it would be wiped from my record or would i be best phoning them to confirm its been taken off?

This is something I’d say has pretty much ruined my life because it was actually something really stupid but I’ve felt i can't apply for another job as I’ve been so worried about losing the job i have, if i went for a job in the place i work and didn't get it, they could then get rid of me i assume?

Thanks

Dave

By AB2014 - 18 May 23 10:37 AM

dave_uk - 17 May 23 11:58 PM
Thank you, that sounds brilliant and such a relief.
Would anything on PNC also be filtered, or could anything there show up?
Or after this amount of time and given my scenario, do I need to just stop worrying and be assured nothing is going to show now, even on a standard or enhanced check?

It will stay on your PNC record, but unless there are any safeguarding issues around the conviction and the victim, the police shouldn't be disclosing it. The check should be clear, but it's human nature to be unsure of the unknown until it finally becomes known. If anything does show up, I suggest contacting Unlock for advice.