theForum

PM Questions - Labour MP asking for sex offenders not be released early

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27309.aspx

By JASB - 4 Mar 20 2:22 PM

Hi
We know early release of "terrorists" has been a headline for a couple of months and I suppose some of us more cynical (in the eyes of the government) have wondered when the focus will be diverted to other offences. 

Today in PM questions a Labour MP raised the question asking when will the Government look at including and so stopping violent offenders and sex offenders early release.

This was expected but what was the most amazing element of her question is that she stated that completing the full sentence in prison "would rehabilitate an offender".

If the Government and society accepted that statement I would willing go back today to do the 2 years I completed on licence so I could get a family life, employment and stop the persecution and discrimination by them.

Oh to be an MP.
By JASB - 6 Mar 20 3:30 PM

punter99 - 6 Mar 20 11:56 AM
I believe the point she was making was comparing the reoffending rates of SO to that of terrorist offenders only (low vs very low). Pointing out that they (the terrorists) are being treated differently to everyone else. That is indeed the current situation, but will soon change as I mentioned above. Still, nice to know that there is someone below SO in the hierarchy of offending. Makes me feel soooo much better...

Hi
I try not ot be cynical but I feel the reason for the question was because they had probably noticed your point about "hierarchy".