theForum

Officer wants me to sign for property to be destoryed

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27569.aspx

By Ajones10 - 10 Apr 20 9:29 PM

Hello,
I had some property seized in 2016. 

Now all the investigation and stuff is over the police still have the property and the officer has now sent me a letter asking me to sign so it can be destroyed. Back in 2016 the officer told me it would be returned back to me, with storage devices removed. But now I am told they don't have the manpower to check all things seized so it must be destroyed anyway, regardless if anything is on it or not, or how it was used or wasn't used. 

What happens if I don't sign? I have no intention of doing so and helping the police out here. I don't understand if I am not aloud it back why do I have to sign to say they can have it? Also not everything taken was mine so I cannot sign for other peoples thing surely?  

Any ideas on how to handle this matter.
By JASB - 23 Apr 20 2:23 PM

Mr W - 23 Apr 20 1:22 PM
JASB - 23 Apr 20 11:37 AM
Mr W - 22 Apr 20 7:15 PM
Simon1983 - 22 Apr 20 6:36 PM
Sadly that does not matter, if there is any suggestion that an item like a hard drive might contain illegal material they will not let you take the non illegal stuff, the whole drive or item will be destroyed.

One piece of my property was destroyed, I got the rest back (stuff that was 'clean' let's say), but after a number of conversations the police did give me back documents (Family stuff, work related stuff) eventually from the hard drive that was destroyed. I provided an external hard drive for them and they gave me it back with my documents on. I might have been lucky, I don't know if all forces are the same.

Hi Mr W,

Congratulates on your handling this issue and acceptance of the result.
Take care

Thanks, this happened last year, I just wanted to give hope to those in the same position who want their property back. That force I still have respect for, my current force however, now I've moved, different story as documented previously.

Hi
From personal experience of moving locations and the PPU reaction to this I find that one force will be happy (less workload) the other is suspicious - driven by their emotions from the additional workload lol
From my arrest and through the whole process I have worked with them - but ensuring I am protecting myself - and eventually they appreciate I am not trying to hinder them. I have written to them explaining that after 10 years I am uncomfortable with their and societies "continual regressive attitude", especially as all the psychological evidence demonstrates I am not what the label "sex offender" inferrs. If that will be interpreted as "in denial" time will see. 
You take care.