theForum

Finding work whilst on the SO Register and with a SHPO

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27757.aspx

By Mr W - 26 Jan 21 6:10 PM

Last week I was turned away by a group who help people with convictions get back into work. Why? Because I have a SHPO.
They did however point me towards another group.
I got in touch with that group and they turned me down because I've registered as self employed and have 'had some work' recently. Even though, especially thanks to the pandemic, it's far from a livable/long term wage and was all the advice I was given - even by probation - repeatedly to 'go self employed'.
So, I've now outed myself twice and I'm no further forward.
This is unacceptable.
By Abagado - 3 Jun 20 9:01 PM

Hello there,

I’m on the SO Register and have a SHPO which doesn’t expire for the next 3 years

Has anybody got any practical advice as to how I might find work with this background?

Thanks

Abagado
By JamesZ - 20 Aug 22 7:12 PM

So I've been wondering about self employment in a service based job. I have an S.O for images.

I wondered about things like:

Gardening.
Renting out various in demand equipment - Tools, etc 
Litter clearance.
Coffee selling in nice street areas.
Scrap metal (Don't drive - but have a large pull along wagon)
Growing plants/veg to sell.
Fixing things.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, realize there are various factors/costs etc and not sure if they are viable?

If anyone has any info on these or any better ideas for self employment/service based jobs I'd love to know. 

Thanks

James
By punter99 - 22 Aug 22 3:23 PM

JamesZ - 20 Aug 22 7:12 PM
So I've been wondering about self employment in a service based job. I have an S.O for images.

Gardening.
Litter clearance.
Fixing things.

I'm just throwing ideas out there, realize there are various factors/costs etc and not sure if they are viable?

If anyone has any info on these or any better ideas for self employment/service based jobs I'd love to know. 

Thanks

James

Sounds like you want to work outside, rather than online, and that you are good with your hands. But lack of transport is a big issue.

Maybe produce around 100 leaflets, advertising yourself as an odd-job man, fixing broken fences, painting, cleaning gutters, window cleaning, general maintenance, tidying up rubbish, trimming hedges etc. Anything that you can do with a minimum of tools and no heavy machinery. 

Distribute the leaflets in your local area and see if you get any response. Top tip; elderly residents are always in need of help with jobs like this.  
By JASB - 23 Aug 22 12:27 PM

Gardening.
Litter clearance.
Fixing things.

Thanks

James

Hi
It is good to see positivity. 
One consideration to think about, so you can prepare your responses or methods of handling certain scenarios is "working in a persons home". I understand the "non-contact" argument, but not everyone is able to do that as all they see is "SO".
Also it is becoming more common for "businesses" to advertise they have been "assessed" or whatever by "authorities".
Discuss it with your Probation officer / Offender manager as they must have experience of others considering the same options. 
In the end build your "business plan" including these considerations and go for it.

Good luck in the most positive of meanings. 
By JamesZ - 24 Aug 22 12:35 PM

punter99 - 22 Aug 22 3:23 PM

Gardening.
Litter clearance.
Fixing things.

Thanks

James

Sounds like you want to work outside, rather than online, and that you are good with your hands. But lack of transport is a big issue.

Maybe produce around 100 leaflets, advertising yourself as an odd-job man, fixing broken fences, painting, cleaning gutters, window cleaning, general maintenance, tidying up rubbish, trimming hedges etc. Anything that you can do with a minimum of tools and no heavy machinery. 

Distribute the leaflets in your local area and see if you get any response. Top tip; elderly residents are always in need of help with jobs like this.  

I'm just really trying to think of possible ideas with in demand/needed services that would be allowed. I heard someone else on here was delivering leaflets door to door with no questions asked. So might give that a go. Thanks for the reply.
By JamesZ - 24 Aug 22 12:38 PM

JASB - 23 Aug 22 12:27 PM

Gardening.
Litter clearance.
Fixing things.

Thanks

James

Hi
One consideration to think about, so you can prepare your responses or methods of handling certain scenarios is "working in a persons home". I understand the "non-contact" argument, but not everyone is able to do that as all they see is "SO".
Also it is becoming more common for "businesses" to advertise they have been "assessed" or whatever by "authorities".
Discuss it with your Probation officer / Offender manager as they must have experience of others considering the same options. 
In the end build your "business plan" including these considerations and go for it.

Thanks. Just watched a YouTube video of a guy saying in demand service based jobs are worth looking into. So trying to think of what's possible/allowed, particularly for self employment. Cheers.
By JASB - 24 Aug 22 12:49 PM

JamesZ - 24 Aug 22 12:38 PM
JASB - 23 Aug 22 12:27 PM

Gardening.
Litter clearance.
Fixing things.

Thanks

James

Hi

Thanks. Just watched a YouTube video of a guy saying in demand service based jobs are worth looking into. So trying to think of what's possible/allowed, particularly for self employment. Cheers.

Hi
good luck but just be careful you are not "abused" because of your need to work. By that make sure their expectations do not take the >?@:.
By JamesZ - 29 Aug 22 3:16 PM

Is market trading (stalls) an available option? Was wondering about Selling Clothes/jackets or Shoe shining etc.

Thanks.
By AB2014 - 30 Aug 22 11:33 AM

JamesZ - 29 Aug 22 3:16 PM
Is market trading (stalls) an available option? Was wondering about Selling Clothes/jackets or Shoe shining etc.

Thanks.

You need a trading licence from your local authority for that, and they would do a basic DBS check, but if the stall is in a licensed market venue, you wouldn't need that licence. I don't know what the market management might want, though.
By Mr W - 30 Aug 22 4:27 PM

When you're thinking about jobs and looking for something to do day in, day out, I think it's always worth really thinking about what you're passionate about, as doing 'anything' will probably quickly become less interesting.
Have you had a chance to speak to someone who helps those with convictions back into work? In difficult times, a bit of hand-holding can give you some focus although I realise this is trickier to find than it should be.
I had an email from Unlock today offering free Zoom sessions to talk, this might be a good starting point.
By JamesZ - 30 Aug 22 5:55 PM

Thanks guys. Didn't know that about markets. I get what you mean with passion although options don't always allow for that. Kinda trying to gauge what's possible and choose from there. I would love to do a tribute band although not sure about checks, maybe a pub covers band or busking would be allowed. Have to consider complications etc. Thanks for your help guys.