theForum

It's going to court - supporting through the lead up - SO

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic27996.aspx

By dragonfly4 - 4 Jul 20 9:04 AM

Hi everyone I posted the topic waiting in the introduction forum but it wouldn't let me add further posts as an update.

Brief overview my partner is facing six counts of assault over an historic offence - we believe he was between the ages of 12-15 he's when this took place where he touched his younger cousin out of sexual curiosity. He apologised at the time and nothing more was said. They have a good relationship, friendly chatty etc since then he's apologised to her several times over this.
Shortly after we get married  he(18 years later) a phone call about the investigation, interviews go ahead and yesterday I saw the charge sheet and was shocked he's facing six counts, my partner has been honest all the way through he says he can only remember this the two times - I believe him he's an honest kind man the fact that he admitted to it at interview and al.those years ago and has felt guilty his whole life that shows character.

What shocked me further was the police force said that if he'd still lived in the area they'd have given him an out of court disposal..... so theyve pushed it to court instead.

Seriously - our solicitor was shocked and said he will highlighting this when we go to court as hopefully a way of dissuading them to push this to crown because we are talking about 13/14 year old boy that committed an offence -twice. The police, CPS all said there's no grooming/predatory intention etc
In the meantime we have to collect character references it's our only hope to stop the worst case scenario which again is risky but we'll find out who are friends are. 

So we're upset we really thought this could have been resolved out of court. It's hard not to feel angry there's worse cases with people who intend harm others that never see court. I can't understand how the CPS feel there's enough evidence when it's just her account in of things.
How do you navigate through this emotional time?
What did you find helpful in lead up and after court?
We're fully prepared for our lives to fall apart.
Thank you
By Square - 17 Sep 20 7:36 PM

Don't over think things just now. You know what he is charged with and that he is going to court. He could end up with anything from dismissal to time in prison. The system is not predictable. Also, remember that the police are there to gain convictions - that is their job and as such don't talk to them. Not you or your husband.

If you can, spend time together. Go for walks, travel and have weekends away. It will likely be around a year before you end up in court so try as hard as you can to do positive things for your mental wellbeing.

Oh, and court sucks. It is horrendous. Go expecting the worst, and things can only be more positive than that.