theForum

Is the ROA fair regarding previous convictions?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28249.aspx

By Simmo - 23 Jul 20 1:41 PM

Is the ROA fair? Should they introduce a system where minor convictions for offences such as thefts, criminal damage and others like that where you pose no risk to anyone, are excluded from even an Enhanced DBS check? Especially if they are from some time ago, thus giving rehabilitated offenders a better chance of securing employment and leading law abiding lives?
By AB2014 - 8 Sep 20 10:58 AM

jcdmcr - 4 Sep 20 10:10 AM
AB2014 - 3 Sep 20 9:28 AM
Simmo - 23 Jul 20 1:41 PM
Is the ROA fair? Should they introduce a system where minor convictions for offences such as thefts, criminal damage and others like that where you pose no risk to anyone, are excluded from even an Enhanced DBS check? Especially if they are from some time ago, thus giving rehabilitated offenders a better chance of securing employment and leading law abiding lives?

Well, actually, they're about to do just that, following that Supreme Court ruling in January 2019. It means minor offences can be filtered, however many you have, but you still have to wait 11 years, which is still harsh. The change also means youth cautions, reprimands and warnings for all offences will no longer be shown on enhanced DBS checks. However, whether the ROA is generally fair is another matter. Under any other government, I'd be cautiously hopeful that they might change it again, but not this one.

My experience is that they're selective.... I mean think about it - Look at films like king of thieves, transporter etc they glorify crime.... But you never certain crimes glorified?!?!?!?

As for insurance etc - My car insurance is crazy. My policy went from £400 to over £2000 for an images offence. I couldn't get home insurance....

As your conviction is for a non-motoring offence, you could always try the insurers on Unlock's list here for car insurance, as they only ask about motoring convictions. For other insurance, they have a list here that might be helpful.