theForum

Adult Instructor - Cadet Forces

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28257.aspx

By ArmyMedic - 24 Jul 20 9:03 AM

Hi

I am currently going through the process to be an Adult Instructor with the Sea Cadets.  Part of this requires me to undergo an enhanced DBS Check.

Back in 2015 l received a Simple Police caution for Battery following an isolated domestic.  Then in 2019 l was fined for Truancy after my then 16-year-old daughter refused to go to school

As per the ROA l declared both of these on the application form, but was aware that they were spent, in fact, the caution is due to be filtered next year.

As per their process, they have asked to see my DBS certificate.

What are my chances of getting accepted, or am l flogging a dead horse?

Cheers

By Eddy - 24 Jul 20 6:19 PM

ArmyMedic - 24 Jul 20 9:03 AM
Hi

I am currently going through the process to be an Adult Instructor with the Sea Cadets.  Part of this requires me to undergo an enhanced DBS Check.

Back in 2015 l received a Simple Police caution for Battery following an isolated domestic.  Then in 2019 l was fined for Truancy after my then 16-year-old daughter refused to go to school

As per the ROA l declared both of these on the application form, but was aware that they were spent, in fact, the caution is due to be filtered next year.

As per their process, they have asked to see my DBS certificate.

What are my chances of getting accepted, or am l flogging a dead horse?

Cheers

Hi Medic welcome to the Forum!

Your case is as unique as any other so it is difficult to judge your chances of getting accepted. That said you have have been up-front in declaring your previous convictions as is required during the application stage so there will be no surprises when these show on your enhanced DBS. Hopefully they ask you to an interview during which you are able to discuss the circumstances that led to your convictions in more detail, whilst this may seem intrusive and be a somewhat painful trip down memory lane for you personally it will better help them weigh you up and make that character judgment based on how you present yourself in the here and now and not what is recorded about your past.

I wouldn't say you are flogging a dead horse, I would say you are trying to volunteer for a time-honored charitable cause.

Please let the forum know how you get on either way.

Eddy