theForum

Is this a small step forward? Re Disclosures amendments - looking forward to hearing what will be agreed in parliament

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28886.aspx

By JASB - 23 Sep 20 5:10 PM

punter99 - 21 Sep 20 11:17 AM
This is from gov.uk.

The Criminal Justice Act 2003 defines serious harm as: ‘death or serious personal injury, whether physical or psychological’.

OASys defines serious harm as ‘an event which is life threatening and/or traumatic and from which recovery, whether physical or psychological, can be expected to be difficult or impossible’.

Most people's understanding of what is a serious offence is determined by the harm caused, but it can also include designated offences, like those under the Serious Crimes Act. For example, possession of a firearm causes no harm to anyone, but is still included in the list of offences designated by UK law as serious crimes.

It's one of those words which is bandied about by politicians, without any clear understanding of what it actually means.

But one of the reasons why the govt chose to set the limit for a two thirds early release at 7 years was the impact on prison numbers. It was originally going to be 4 years, but they consulted and were told that putting it at 4 years would mean thousands more prisoners locked up for longer. They changed it to 7 years so it would affect fewer prisoners. So their understanding of what serious means, in that context, is serious enough to justify keeping those people in prison.

Hi

Interesting words so thanks for your research.
At the time of my arrest and using your words, I would have raised the point that my offence was basically prostitution and consensual as she had approached me, so how did I cause the form of harm you mention to her?

Obviously I know I was being selfish as I never considered why she would choose this occupation; no matter her age.
By JASB - 16 Sep 20 10:56 AM

I quickly read this article and I hope it brings hope and a simile to many .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54167908

I was also encouraged by the statement:

Mr Buckland told BBC Radio 4's Today programme the aim of the changes was to "increase public confidence in the system and ensure the protection of the public as well".

He added: "I have been completely committed to sentencing reform for years [and] this is my opportunity to make a difference."

A focus on supporting ex-offenders will see custodial sentences become "spent" after 12 months without reoffending, with convictions of up to four years no longer disclosed after a further four crime-free years. 

I will be interested what is said in Parliament and the final wording will be as given my sentence was 4 years it is possible I have only 1 year left to disclose.