theForum

The dreaded "can we have a chat"

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28910.aspx

By Square - 17 Sep 20 6:50 PM

So, today the HR manager at work asked for a chat. It turns out someone had called the HR director of my work to "whistleblow" on me. Just to be clear, I am covered by the RoOA and I did not need to disclose anything. I had changed my name and living location as a means of self protection.

The chat was unbelievable awkward, as I am sure you will imagine. The call was made over two weeks ago and there were seemingly discussions between the HR manager and the HR Director whether or not to tell me. It was stated that they understood that I was covered by the act and that I didn't need to disclose the conviction. It was also stated that they were very happy with the job I was doing and there was not a risk to my employment. They also planned to keep this disclosure between the senior HR team.

Needless to say I am extremely pleased with the response, however it has affected my mental health. I also wish to know more about who supplied this 'information' but they are not willing to share and given their response I really don't wish to rock the boat.

I suppose I am very lucky.
By JASB - 21 Sep 20 11:01 AM

Simon1983 - 20 Sep 20 2:10 PM
Cheers Square 

I know what you mean by the mental health issues, not knowing who made the report sent me a little over the edge. 

Over the last 10 years I had moved on with my life and felt I had paid back a lot.

sadly all the advice I got from the like of ACAS and others, was to just let it be and take it no further, as everyone in my work now knows it’s not like I could return, so just of the view I have to start again which is not easy with the like of every job out there needing a basic DBS 

Hi

We can all understand the concern about raising the subject with the employers again but not knowing what settlement - if any - you received on leaving, and if you wish to return to that job, but consider it from another perspective.

You do have a legal right to protection by your employer. I believe you have the right to be informed of the identity of your accuser in cases like this as you have a right to defend yourself as you have adhered to their policies. It was the fault of the business's processes that you was not asked the question NOT yours. Otherwise anyone can take a "personal dislike" to the employer to get someone dismissed.

We all know they understand you do any "public noise" and they are using that to hide their issues but remember they will not want to air their mistakes.
We should not take unjust punishment or allow others to punish us for their errors.

It may be hard but I would start to gather all the relevant documentation especially their recruitment policies from when you were recruited, build it all up before talking to lawyers and then decide if your current scenario is worth challenging them.

Just do not give up on hope.