theForum

Have been refused an Esta to the US because I said yes to a question, should I be honest on Canadian form?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic28956.aspx

By coco98 - 22 Sep 20 11:34 AM

Hi there, 

I have a caution from 2013 for D&D and assaulting a police officer. It was a simple spent caution. I believe it is now filtered under the ROA here but I tried to apply for an Esta for the States online once and can't remember what the question was but they immediately refused my application and I never took it any further. If I now want to travel to Canada should/could I a) just answer no on their online form and hope that they don't share info with the states? My worry is that although I didn't take it further there is now a permanent mark against my name on their system or should I be honest and again risk a ban? 

By AB2014 - 5 Oct 20 9:43 AM

Yankee - 30 Sep 20 6:02 PM
Canada generally follows the Rehabilitation of Offenders act for UK citizens, so if that was your only offence you could apply for 'Individual Rehabilitation' as 5 years has elapsed since the offence.  It will be automatically Deemed Rehabilitated after 10 years

You should also bear in mind that D&D and assaulting a police officer are separate offences, so they should be treated as two cautions rather than one. Even so, this was not considered serious enough for you to be charged, and most countries ask about arrests, then talk about convictions. I'd be surprised if they refused you entry, as you should be able to show that you are rehabilitated as you have nothing else on your record.