theForum

Banned by the FA

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic29446.aspx

By 13TG - 23 Nov 20 1:35 PM

I received a suspended sentence in July for sexual activity with a minor (a single incident with no penetration). The FA have decided to ban me from all football, including playing. I have no intention of coaching, being a captain or anything else and will be playing towards the bottom of grass roots football.

Does anyone have any experience of bans by sports bodies? 

They seem to want to cover themselves rather than protect the community

The judge in my case stated in court that my playing sport was a vital part of my rehab - but the FA just want to block me

Any advice?
By Yankee - 27 Nov 20 1:47 PM

13TG - 23 Nov 20 1:35 PM
I received a suspended sentence in July for sexual activity with a minor (a single incident with no penetration). The FA have decided to ban me from all football, including playing. I have no intention of coaching, being a captain or anything else and will be playing towards the bottom of grass roots football.

Does anyone have any experience of bans by sports bodies? 

They seem to want to cover themselves rather than protect the community

The judge in my case stated in court that my playing sport was a vital part of my rehab - but the FA just want to block me

Any advice?

Football, cricket and rugby all have a similar approach to safeguarding.

Firstly, there is 'regulated activity' such as coaching children that needs an Enhanced DBS and checks against the Children's barred list.  From your information, I assume you are on that list so cannot perform any 'regulated activity' at the football club.

Then there are 'eligible roles' that require a DBS check - manager, coach, chairman, selectors, umpires, referees etc

Playing sport is not a regulated activity. Player is not an eligible role.

Based on the information you have provided, I'm not aware of any FA regulations that would ban you. However, if you have any form of SOPO or restrictive orders from the court that might be the reason.

If not, I would read the FA's safeguarding policies in depth and challenge any notice they have given you. If you're not confident doing it yourself, get a solicitor (or a legal advice centre) to help.