theForum

Problems replying to post

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic29677.aspx

By Mark15788 - 5 Jan 21 7:18 PM

I can’t start a new thread and wanted to start one to get advice regarding housing. Emailed the forum team and got no reply.
By Mark15788 - 5 Jan 21 7:20 PM

I can’t start a new thread and want to as needed advice regarding housing and don’t know where else to ask. I’ve emailed the forum team but had no reply.
By Blueman202 - 5 Jan 21 9:25 PM

To start this thread I submitted it then there was an error then I clicked back and it wouldn’t stop loading then I clicked refresh and it worked maybe try that and see if it worked. I imagine the staff and volunteers have been off for Christmas and new year.
By Blueman202 - 5 Jan 21 9:59 PM

If you still can’t start a thread I will try and start a housing thread and then ask the question underneath.
By Mark15788 - 5 Jan 21 11:15 PM

I tried again but don’t think it posted. It lets me reply on threads, I still get the error, than I press back and refresh, however starting a thread from scratch ain’t working.
By Blueman202 - 6 Jan 21 1:38 AM

Here a link to a thread I started for you.

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/FindPost29709.aspx
By Mark15788 - 11 Jan 21 6:30 PM

Anyone noticed an improvement?
By Blueman202 - 3 Jan 21 8:42 PM

There seems to be a problem sometimes when trying to reply to post. I’ve seen a few comments about it but don’t know if the moderators are aware and if it’s going to be fixed.
By Mark15788 - 6 Jan 21 8:52 AM

Not sure if this will will come through but it still won’t let me reply to the thread you created.
By Blueman202 - 6 Jan 21 11:46 AM

I can only see two reply’s that say testing but they are on page two maybe try again and see if it goes to the next page.
By Mark15788 - 6 Jan 21 12:40 PM

Tried loads, both on phone, and laptop, plus different browsers. Still won’t work. I’ve emailed the forum email address again.
By Blueman202 - 6 Jan 21 2:36 PM

Hopefully it gets fixed soon
By xDanx - 7 Jan 21 12:50 PM

From my observations, the issue seems to be with replying to specific comments where it uses quotes. Although by using the reply button further down still shows the error saying something is wrong, it still proceeds to post comments or creates new topics.
My experience in web design / forums is limited, but my guess would be features the forum uses are in need of an update. Given the circumstances with covid, it might not be possible for someone with access to proceed with updates.

I am sure it will fixed as soon as possible though
By Mark15788 - 23 Jan 21 11:00 PM

I’m still experiencing loads of issues using the forum.
By Deb S - 1 Feb 21 12:28 PM

Hi All

So sorry for the ongoing problems with theForum. We are continuing to work with our Forum developer to rectify the issues you're having in posting to some of the forum threads. 

To free up storage capacity, it may be necessary to permanently archive some of the older posts (those posted prior to 2016) which we intend doing over the weekend of 6 and 7 February 2021. We will of course endeavour to keep any older threads which contain information and advice which is of particular interest or relevance. 

In the meantime, may I thank you all for your continued support and don't hesitate to get in touch with the helpline if you require any information or advice. 

Debs

By jimmy456 - 7 Feb 21 11:58 PM

I'm trying to post a topic and keep getting an error, is this a forum issue?
By xDanx - 8 Feb 21 8:05 AM

Unfortunately yes issues have persisted for a number of months now. I found anything more than 3 lines of text will fail to post, anything with in will still pop up an error but post will succeed usually.
By Mark15788 - 9 Feb 21 2:07 PM

Agreed, Dan.
By Was - 10 Feb 21 11:56 AM

I wonder if someone has accidentally changed an underlying database field to 255 Text and/or changed its character set?

Test with even more text added by using Edit.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
By Was - 10 Feb 21 12:02 PM

Scrub that. I was able to edit a short post once to add more text that went over that limit(see above). However, this only appears to be allowed once as the edit option disappears after you update it.
By xDanx - 10 Feb 21 2:08 PM

Could be many reasons as to what is causing the error, I can only assume from Debbie's post that there is only one person who maintains the forum which is now starting to exceed storage capacity. To add to the complications as mentioned, with lock down rules being applied, the developer may have to work from home and is unable to access the forum to fix the issue. No other choice but to wait it out and hopefully a fix is applied soon.
By jimmy456 - 13 Feb 21 9:32 PM

The only way I could post a topic was to use a one word title, then a one word first message. Post it, and then go back and edit it, at that point it would let me add as much text as I wanted. It says error, but it still posts. So try replying to posts with a single word, post it, and then go back in and edit it and leave your actual reply.
By Mark15788 - 19 May 21 4:32 PM

I spoke to Debbie last week. 
Apparently it should be back to normal working order by the end of the week.
Fingers crossed.
By Ajones10 - 23 May 21 8:40 PM

Hi, I've been away from here for a while due to it not working. Is this fixed now?
By xDanx - 24 May 21 12:44 AM

Someone said fixes might be happening end of the week so fingers crossed

Testing.....

Edit: Error still pops up after posting so I am guessing not
By Mark15788 - 24 May 21 11:17 AM

I was getting errors all morning still. 
By Simon1983 - 24 May 21 4:15 PM

Test test test it was the best of times it was the worst of times test test test 
By Simon1983 - 24 May 21 4:25 PM

Test test test 123 test test 
By Mark15788 - 24 May 21 6:30 PM

We’re they posted without an error?
By Simon1983 - 25 May 21 6:56 AM

Sadly not the issue has been reported again, I find that if you click on post reply instead of reply it helps and when the error screen shows once you have posted 
click home next to ware it says error and once on the Home Screen click latest and the post should be there 
By Mark15788 - 13 Jul 21 10:27 PM

Is it working now?
By Simon1983 - 14 Jul 21 9:32 AM

The error message still shows but the posts are posting if that makes sense have not had any issues yesterday or today 
By Mark15788 - 14 Jul 21 10:52 AM

I couldn’t get on for about a week I kept getting an error and yes the error messages keep appearing. I gave up asking Unlock as they never respond to the emails.
By khafka - 25 Jan 21 4:03 PM

Still totally broken for me too.

I did email off over a week ago and haven't gotten a reply. I don't think that email inbox is monitored, sadly.
By Blueman202 - 25 Jan 21 9:34 PM

Sometimes at the moment it’s not even letting me log in it seems to be getting worse.
By xDanx - 25 Jan 21 9:38 PM

If the rule for most is to work from home then my guess is those who maintain the forum simply can not access it from home to fix the issues. And if lock down is now apparently going to last till July 17th, I doubt the issues will be fixed till after that.
By Blueman202 - 25 Jan 21 9:53 PM

Your probably right. We should all be thankful that there is a forum and it’s free to use but it is annoying to think all it probably need a a quick button press somewhere to update everything.
By Was - 30 Jul 21 6:19 PM

Perhaps Unlock should just archive and reinstall the forum software? Yes it would lose the historic answers but I've typed several replies to recent posts, got the error message and just can't be bothered to type it all in again. A complete forum reset might be best. 
By xDanx - 30 Jul 21 7:26 PM

I hate to say it, but given how long this issues has been left ignored. It seems those behind it have simply given up maintaining it.
By khafka - 31 Jul 21 4:37 PM

Yeah, sadly I think it is just not seen as a priority. The thing is I'm sure there are a couple here (myself included) who could potentially fix the issue I know they're obviously not going to give us free rein over the forum but my point my stands. I even managed to get a fully functioning forum working with all the sub forums this one had and I did it in an afternoon before the general consensus here was it was a bad idea and they wouldn't use it so I nixed it. I don't use this forum anywhere near as much as I used to because of the errors.
By Mark15788 - 29 Jan 21 2:11 PM

I got a response today from my email to say their forum developers have been informed of the issues and they are working on them.