theForum

Can someone travel to the UK if they have a criminal record?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic29794.aspx

By Blueman202 - 17 Jan 21 7:23 PM

Just been doing some research if your 2 year sentence was a community detention then that would be classes as community order in the uk and not the same as a prison sentence so you be ok to travel to the uk for upto 6 month with out any visa. If your sentence was above community detention then you would need to wait 10 years. I also seen that New Zealand sex offenders register is only for offences committed against children so as long as that’s not the case you will be fine in regard to the green notices.
By Blueman202 - 17 Jan 21 7:25 PM

If you travel to the uk for upto 6 months you won’t even have to see an immigration officer as because you are from New Zealand you can use the e gates at the airport.
By Bridges - 18 Jan 21 10:44 PM

Thank you so much for your help and advice.
So does that mean that a visa isn't required even though there is a criminal conviction? I thought that a visa had to be sought if there was a conviction 
Immigration law is such a minefield 
By Blueman202 - 19 Jan 21 1:23 AM

As far as I can tell as long as you’ve waited the correct amount of time all you need to travel is you New Zealand passport and no visa or waiver or anything else. The uk gov website says you may want to apply for a visa if you have a criminal conviction if I was in your situation I would avoid doing that as disclosing could cause problems with other stuff later on. It probably definitely worth speaking to a uk immigration lawyer just to double check before you come. People coming to the uk visa free are not routinely asked about criminal records and if you are as long as you’ve waited the correct time you should still get in.
By Bridges - 16 Jan 21 11:23 PM

Hello,
If someone was convicted of a sexual offence in the country of which they are a national of (not the UK) when they were 18, could that stop them from visiting the UK? Even if it happened more than 5 years ago? 
Are there any waivers available if that person was coming to the UK to visit their partner or if they were travelling with their spouse who is a UK national? 
Any help and advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you