theForum

Change name for employment prospects

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic31371.aspx

By Mark15788 - 11 May 21 9:17 PM

I’m having more luck with job hunting and with roles where they haven’t asked for a declaration and offering me an interview and the role does not require a DBS.

I’m thinking more a name change by deed poll would help because it would stop been looked up on google.

The drawbacks are though:

A) on forms nowhere they ask for previous names I would have to tell them anyway? Then they could look up previous name.
B) right to work - my birth certificate obviously can’t be changed, although I could get a passport in new name?
C) jobs that require to see certificates like my GCSEs and A-Levels, all in previous name, so again what stops them looking up old name anyway?

Thoughts?
By JASB - 27 Apr 23 4:27 PM

Mr W - 26 Apr 23 1:49 PM
Mr W - 11 May 21 11:19 PM
I’ve put a lot of thought into tackling this same issue myself. The best thing I’ve come up with is this:

John Matthew Smith
1. Change surname, nobody really thinks twice about surname changes.
John Matthew Jones.

Or, if that’s not enough.
2. I’m going for flipping forenames AND changing the surname.
Matthew John Jones.
Then you can say you “used to go by your middle name”. You can still be known by John to some people. Any certificates ‘made a mistake' with the order of the name.

This isn’t a 100% water-tight method, but as I say, it’s the best I can think of. I'm all ears for any other ideas as I'm struggling too.

First of all I can't believe it was two years ago when I was replying on this thread. I find the past three years especially have gone insanely fast. Which in some respects is fine because it gets me closer to the day I can put all this behind me, but still, it's three years I can't get back.

Anyway, I've changed my name by deed poll. I originally downloaded the forms off the government website and got witnesses to sign them, but solicitors seemed wary of putting their name to something they hadn't been involved with at the start (and the cheaper option for me), so instead they offer the option of doing it for you (at a cost, of course) and it avoids publication in some London newspaper (read more about this on enrolled versus unenrolled name change)

What did I change? So if my name was John Matthew Smith, my name is now Matthew John Jones. Newer people in my life already know me as "Matthew", while others will still call me "John".

What did I do? I went to a local solicitor, gave them my birth certificate, driving licence and told them my new name. They drafted the deed (essentially a Word doc saying that I relinquish my old name and this is my new name). I took that to a different solicitor who signed it (for £10 fee). Then the original solicitor gives you the original deed and some stamped photocopies. It's been a very easy process. The hard part is changing everything you're attached to. I've made a list and it keeps on increasing. My first port of call was obviously the police station. They were fine about it. I'm now waiting for my driving licence and then I'll apply for a new passport. I've also been spending time closing a lot of online accounts, especially to do with money, so PayPal, Foreign currency cards, Crypto accounts, Bet365/gambling sites etc I'd rather sign up 'as new' with a new name, rather than inform them I've changed my name then it severs any chances of connections. This is unavoidable in some cases, like GP/NHS, electoral role. With my bank, I'm going to change my name with the bank but then leave that bank.

Happy to answer any questions.

Hi
Well done, I did mine a couple of years back (£60) using a solicitor and rec'd 10 signed copies; which disappeared fast lol. I also didn't bother with the full name change via Summerset house I think. Reason being that doesn't offer much more protection as just doing the "legal" change to get the required docs. I dumped my initial forename as hated it and changed it to the name my mother had wanted me to be called (after her father). kept my middle name and then joined my mother's maiden name to my fathers surname to have a double barreled name. This does hide most linkage for people searching except for the example below; but that can be explained away.

Also to save going and paying for more "authorized" copies I scanned a copy and kept the master copy as most areas I had to notify accepted PDF copies via email; even the DVLA and Tax people accepted them.

With the bank as the Police can still get access to old bank records they can see any links. Again Companies House details that are still made public still show my old name as an ex-director and new name as a director. The business has been closed but when you do a search about businesses the details still get shown by those trying to sell full details (legally).

One funny aspect is that family and friends who have stayed with me but not publicly if you understand my meaning; still call me by my old name!!! Pain.