theForum

Travelling to Egypt with a SOR

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic31610.aspx

By Harry53 - 9 Aug 21 5:56 PM

I have a friend in Egypt I want to visit and I have seen a sample  visa form which, at the bottom says : Applicants with previous convictions should declare their convictions below or on a separate sheet.

Now I have a spent conviction so am considering not admitting it as it is spent. 

Does anyone know if this will cause me a problem?
By AB2014 - 13 Jan 22 12:32 PM

punter99 - 13 Jan 22 10:59 AM
AB2014 - 10 Jan 22 2:35 PM
punter99 - 10 Jan 22 10:51 AM
Worth noting, that people do get stopped and questioned, for reasons other than Schengen.

Certainly, my understanding is that since Brexit, UK police are no longer able to access the SIS database. Shortly before Brexit happened, they were doing an exercise, to remove details of UK citizens from SIS.

But it is quite possible that some were missed and there is no way of knowing for sure, if your details are still on there, without asking the PPU. They could presumably find out for you.

There is also the possibility that some information might have been downloaded in some countries before it was deleted. I hope that isn't the case, but I thought I'd mention it. Regulars will know how cynical I am about these matters.

If that had happened, there is still the issue of how such information is integrated into passport control. In Europe, SIS was directly connected to the immigration systems, meaning that it could not be overlooked, or forgotten, by the border force. Whether European countries also operate other watchlists, in addition to SIS, is not clear, but I've not heard of any, apart from the Interpol databases. 

That is pretty much what I've just posted in the post-Brexit thread. Entry and exit records would probably not have been deleted, as they are not affected by Brexit.