theForum

experience of telling an employer of criminal record

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32004.aspx

By dedalus - 16 Dec 21 3:17 PM

Hi,
I wanted to know whet your experience was of telling your employer about your criminal conviction.
Where you subject to a formal disciplinary procedure? Were you sacked on the spot? Did things get unpleasant 
with your supervisors and  / or HR?

It would be useful to kow what the day to day process was for you once you delcared your conviction to someone at your employers.

Thanks
By JASB - 1 Jan 22 2:42 PM

Hola - 31 Dec 21 3:18 PM
I had both experiences.  I had to disclose to my last perm employer when going to court as I plead guilty, and 8 working days later had been processed through their complete disciplinary procedures to be dismissed for gross misconduct - Sad  I was lucky in that I could move away, and was supported by my wife working. So I went self-employed as an interim manager.  My probation officer directly said I only had to disclose if asked and I never was.  It was 8 years ago now and from memory I think only 2 of many agencies I registered with asked the ' have you ?', and I just said no, which I felt was a risk worth taking as if they were really serious the company using my services would have done a DBS check, which again, probably because the roles were only temporary never happened.  So I would really recommend this route if you have the experience to make this work
Hope this helps

Hi Hola,
I am pleased you managed to find a path through the mind field of disclosure to gain employment.
In the end I think success is depending on various factors e.g. attitude of Probation, PPU etc.
I did find from 2015 onwards that if the agency did not check then the Client would; or would follow up. I was mainly applying for consultancies and "Blue Chip" company roles.
This was for both contract and perm roles. I had various types of offers that were rescinded when I was asked a question that meant I had to disclose.

Re agencies, it was hard not to be too vocal, as I did find that even though I was assured no record of my disclosure to them would be retained, I found it was.