theForum

What is prison really like?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32194.aspx

By dedalus - 1 Feb 22 8:47 AM

Hello,
Prisons seem to be in the press quite a lot nowdays. There are those who argue that prisons are too easy and others who argue that
they do not rehabilitate, are full of bullying and assaults.
As someone who has never been to prison I wonder where the truth is. TV dramas always depict prisons as violent places where your
life is always at risk yet I would guess most people think prisons are too easy nowdays.

I was wondering if any member of the forum had been to prison  and what their experienwe of this was.

Regards,

D
By JASB - 2 Jan 23 1:30 PM

punter99 - 30 Dec 22 12:34 PM
JASB - 27 Dec 22 3:03 PM
punter99 - 23 Dec 22 5:39 PM
We don't know if it would really have led to violence. Sounds more like intimidation of a first time offender, by someone chancing their arm. The inmates who 'protected' him, probably wanted something in return as well.

It was strange that he was deported having served less than half his sentence. Maybe that was just to free up space in the system, but it doesn't appear that he will serve much time in a German prison, so it is not much of a deterrent to others. It is even reported that he will earn £435k for his interview, and that the TV company flew him out to Germany on a private jet, while many offenders leave prison with just £45 and end up on the streets. 

He won't get to attend Wimbledon, because there is a 10 year ban, for anybody who is deported from the UK. He won't get into Australia ever again, because he was sentenced to over 12 months and he may well be refused entry to the USA, if it is considered a crime of moral turpitude. So that just leaves the French Open, which he could travel to.  

Agree with your words but does "moral turpitude" stop Andrew Windsor?

I doubt he will be going to the USA any time soon, as the FBI may want to interview him, but since he has no criminal convictions, the visa exclusions do not currently apply to him.

Hi
Your comment "since he has no criminal convictions" confuses me. He has just been inside or have I missed something Smile

Yep I have you was referring to Andrew SmileSmile:

Happy New Year by the way.