theForum

Can't provide past addresses for ACRO records

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32273.aspx

By BenFeb - 15 Feb 22 5:02 PM

Dear all,

For a few years of the past 10 years I had no fixed abode and was wandering between countries.

I have two questions really:
1. How can I get an ACRO police certificate given that there was a time in the past 10 years where I did not have any fixed address and could not provide the addresses, let alone proof of it, if I wanted to?
2. If I decide that dealing with the British police will be too traumatic, and will not deal any further with them, realistically what countries could I go to, to start a new life, without my past haunting me?

Thank you in advance.
By AB2014 - 17 Feb 22 9:01 AM

BenFeb - 16 Feb 22 7:12 PM
AB2014 - 16 Feb 22 11:41 AM
BenFeb - 15 Feb 22 5:02 PM
Dear all,

For a few years of the past 10 years I had no fixed abode and was wandering between countries.

I have two questions really:
1. How can I get an ACRO police certificate given that there was a time in the past 10 years where I did not have any fixed address and could not provide the addresses, let alone proof of it, if I wanted to?
2. If I decide that dealing with the British police will be too traumatic, and will not deal any further with them, realistically what countries could I go to, to start a new life, without my past haunting me?

Thank you in advance.

I've just had a look through the information on their website, and it says "It will help us if you provide your address history for the last 10 years". I take that to mean that it is good if you have that information, but it doesn't make it impossible if you don't. It might take them a little bit longer to be sure they've got the right record, but I'm sure they have other options to make sure of your identity. If you're still unsure, you can always email or phone them to ask for their advice.

I remember reading somewhere it was a hard requirement with no flexibility, because UK plod needed to check with local forces where you stayed whether you committed other offences. Because some countries do not have a centralised police database.

That may well be right, but it's usually the case that if a UK national gets a conviction abroad, it is automatically communicated to the UK police via ACRO, even if it is not then added to their record in that foreign country. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to have a central database first, as it could just as easily be done through a government ministry.