theForum

Problem with Google removals - IMPORTANT READ!

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32438.aspx

By simonUnLCK3837 - 13 May 22 1:44 PM

I've had really good success with all search engines over recent months but kept spotting articles seemingly 'reappearing' back in Google's search results.

On further investigation it seems that Google will only remove searches against a name and nothing else.

So for example if I search for Joe Bloggs, the results have been removed. However if I search for Joe Bloggs Glasgow or Joe Bloggs sports coach, the results all still appear. I've queried this with Google who just keep sending back the same auto-response saying the results have been moved when searching for my name.

Anyone else had this issue? Anyone know if there's anything that can be done about it?
By Mr W - 13 Jul 22 3:24 PM

I've just received a reply from the MOJ. My question was about fairness between person A and person B being given the same sentence, but person B's sentence being reported in the press and facing additional barriers which person A doesn't. The reply was over a page of waffle talking about the UK having the most robust system etc. and how ViSOR is called The Dangerous Person Database - (I'll say it again for anyone in doubt, the "sex offender register" does not exist). The only paragraph about employment, and not really answering my question, said:

"Regarding barriers to employment, it is important to bear in mind that where an employer is aware of a conviction – spent or unspent – this should not automatically prevent individuals from obtaining employment. A balanced judgment should be exercised, having regard to such factors as the person’s age at the time of the offence, the background circumstances to the case, how long ago the offence took place, whether it was an isolated offence or part of a pattern of offending, the nature of the offence, its relevance to the application or post in question, and what else is known about the person’s conduct before or since the offence." And referred me to NACRO and Unlock.

All I can think of to say is... it "should not"... but it does! There was no response about the Google effect, vigilante sites storing information, or ICO not removing links, which was the basis of my correspondence.

In other news, this might be of interest to some, she also said:
"The Home Office and Ministry of Justice are investing £8.1 million to develop a new multi-agency public protection system (MAPPS) which will enable more effective and automated information sharing, which will in turn improve the risk management of all offenders managed under Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA)." Apparently this will stretch to include domestic abuse and stalking perpetrators managed under MAPPA. Arguably a drop in the ocean since they wasted £100 million on some failed tagging system.