theForum

ICO refusal to ask Google to remove links

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic32581.aspx

By david123 - 15 Jun 22 11:24 AM

Six years ago I was convicted of downloading indecent images and given a 1 year suspended sentence and 10 years SHPO and 10 years on the SOR. This was reported in the local press and was picked up by a couple of vigilante sites who copied and pasted the story along with photos they took from my then Facebook account. Six years on I have managed to get the SHPO dismissed so my offence is now classed as spent. If you Google my name now the original newspaper story no longer appears as it has been archived (yesterdays news) but links to a vigilante site called Track Em Down (TED) do still appear so I put is a request to Google asking for these links to my name to be removed as my conviction was over six years ago and is now spent and my SHPO has been dismissed.
They replied with their standard template rejection letter saying it was still in the public interest for links to this vigilante website to be linked to my name. I then contacted the ICO explaining that my conviction is now sprint and that a crown court judge had dismissed my SHPO five years early having read reports on my rehabilitation from the police and the probation service and that the vigilante site in question encourages vigilante action against people identified on their site so I could be in danger of attack and that I was finding it hard to find employment as most employers these days google the names of applicants to see what kind of social media presence they have and  they can find out about my spent conviction which legally they have no right to know about. Three months later I received a reply saying that the ICO agree with Googles decision and are going to take no action. I can only conclude that if you raise a concern with the ICO and you are a SO they don't even bother to look into it  (you get everything you deserve)
By AB2014 - 30 Nov 23 8:58 AM

Viv - 28 Nov 23 5:34 PM
The ICO is a waste of time. They won't do anything, trust me. 

The right to be forgotten is a waste of time too - they will only delist in certain circumstances, and you need to provide every possible search term you can think of linking your name to the articles. Further, it only applies to searches within the EU, so any Tom, Dick or Harry using a VPN or googling you from outside the EU will see your articles. 

Your only options are to either convince the source to delete the articles, or change your name. 

You don't provide the search terms. You need to provide a list of links to the webpages that name you.