theForum

Travel to Europe (Amsterdam) whilst on SOR

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic33103.aspx

By ImJack - 23 Sep 22 4:32 PM

Hi
I was able to travel to Amsterdam on Eurostar (Sept 2022) without issue. First time abroad since conviction three years ago.

A few things:

I was told that ALL people under visor get a passport marker, Unlock page suggests its an option... although Kent police do seem to peddle misinformation sometimes.
I heard from this page I think, that Eurostar block anyone with a criminal record (very old story though)
Apparently Europe is short of security staff at the moment because staff are not getting the payments they have been getting.
We are now post-Brexit of course, and Kent Police tell me some countries in Europe can take different approaches? (especially Italy apparently?)
My offence was possession of indecent images, 18months suspended, in case the severity is relevant.
Customs/immigration checks are all in the UK, nothing in Europe. French Customs at St Pancreas.
I travelled to Europe after notifying the visor team as per procedure for a short weekend, on business/pleasure
(Dutch?) customs at Amsterdam were thorough, asked plenty of questions, but this seemed to be the same approach for everyone. Nothing controversial.

I was not stopped or questioned at any time. There did not appear to be any E-Gates on Eurostar, just manual checks.

Hope this helps you.

By Was - 25 Sep 22 9:59 AM

punter99 - 24 Sep 22 11:44 AM
Terrible system. Glad it no longer applies to us.

This is only temporary until ETIAS is launched which will effectively stop me traveling to the EU even though I am not on the SOR and my conviction is spent. Under the old "terrible system", I'd have no problems entering Europe.