theForum

Can I visit someone in prison with a criminal record?

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic33873.aspx

By RunningMan - 9 May 23 12:26 PM

Hello
I was asked by a friend to go and visit them in prison (in England). I have a criminal record. It is spent but I was on the SOR. My friend wants my name, mobile number and DOB so I can be added to their 'Visitor List'. Will the prison do a DBS check? Will the convictions show up? And, I changed my name to try and resolve the Google Effect once and for all earlier this year (I lost four jobs as a result), so, if they do a DBS Check how does that work? Apologies if I am asking a question that has already been answered elsewhere, but any advice very welcome.
Thanks
RM  
By AB2014 - 11 May 23 10:01 AM

JASB - 9 May 23 4:55 PM
RunningMan - 9 May 23 12:26 PM
Hello
I was asked by a friend to go and visit them in prison (in England). I have a criminal record. It is spent but I was on the SOR. My friend wants my name, mobile number and DOB so I can be added to their 'Visitor List'. Will the prison do a DBS check? Will the convictions show up? And, I changed my name to try and resolve the Google Effect once and for all earlier this year (I lost four jobs as a result), so, if they do a DBS Check how does that work? Apologies if I am asking a question that has already been answered elsewhere, but any advice very welcome.
Thanks
RM  

I was always told NO, but that was with an unspent conviction. Issue could be is that they may start enquiring into what the link between you is formed by?

Not sure if I am, correct but just providing my experience.

When I was in prison, one of my neighbours had a visit from a former cell-mate. If you're not on licence, then there are no general restrictions about visiting when you have convictions, spent or unspent.