theForum

The King's Speech

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic34385.aspx

By Steadfast - 7 Nov 23 1:53 PM

The Government Press release

Lots of emotive language used - which you would expect of a government failing in the polls! It is mostly focussed around criminal justice and what I would term 'clickbait' terms.
Key points being:
- 'Horrific murderers' or a murder containing sadistic or sexual conduct will likely be a whole of life term
- Those who conduct rape or sexual crimes will no longer be eligible for early release
- Longer sentences for certain crimes (not based on risk)
- Amending the 'Investigatory Powers Bill'

So, ultimately they are going to lock up more people for longer although the prisons are full. There is almost no mention of what they will do to drive down the causes of crime. And no mention of what they will do to rehabilitate and support ex-criminals post sentence. I'm not surprised.

I've also had a quick look around the amending of the Investigatory Powers Bill and there isn't much I could find. I worry that this may mean perpetual monitoring of certain people for relatively innocuous reasons.

Anyway, it will be intresting to see how this pans out moving forward. In this form the Speech certainly seems to have been targeted at a certain voting demographic 
By JASB - 26 Nov 23 4:34 PM

Hi

There is a lot of focus on the "monitoring of ex and current offenders at the moment; one possible reason is that the chances of an election next year are high and all parties want to appear tough!

I think those that do not wish/intend to re-offend should step back and consider how much all the "noise" will affect them. If our control mechanisms are in place, we organize and are aware of potential dangerous scenarios, then why increase our stress levels more.

No one likes restrictions being placed on them but, to endure and so have them not affect us we have to review what we want (wish) and what we need to improve /maintain a quality of life.

I can only hope that the report attached (originally uploaded by Punter99 if memory serves me) and its actions are not ignored in all this. My hope is that the actions can be put into law in the same manner Gove amended Planning Laws recently; very quietly.

My view is that there is possibly only one thing I cannot control (besides death) and that is "societies perception of SO's"