theForum

Job Vacancy - Services Coordinator - specifically for somebody with a conviction

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic498.aspx

By Moostrasse - 29 Apr 12 12:44 PM

People from Yorkshire talk posh, compared to those from Lancashire... I didn't really think about it.

I'm sure you will, Chris... It is something I would definitely be interested in. It's a fabulous opportunity, of that there is no doubt.
By GasGasGas - 18 Jul 12 10:35 PM

I actually researched accommodation in the area and filled in half the application form before thinking - "Who am I kidding?!"

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.
DON'T concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

By GasGasGas - 18 Jul 12 10:35 PM

Folie:  No, this was about a week ago.  Late posting time as I'm a borderline insomniac!

Basically, unlike you, I began to doubt my ability to do the job.  Throw in a pathetic lack of academic qualifications, only a single reference, and the fact that I'd be 230 miles from my daughter, and there you have it.  I'd be wasting everybody's time (including my own).  This line of yours summed up my initial reaction - "finally being able to apply for a job where my past didn't matter".  Does help if you can do the job though!

Greetings everyone, by the way.  Someone's been busy with the scissors!

And Moo, getting phone calls now eh?  Very cloak & dagger!  You guys'd better not be hooking up for after-forum knees-ups without me! nono

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.

DON'T concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

By Anonymous - 5 Sep 10 3:02 AM

A one off advice based post; I can see some struggling.

I’ve not looked at the application form so this is just off the top of my head, but consider what the job role is and what it is asking for. There’s a lot of the usual ‘diversity’ and ‘equality’ nonsense, but ignore that and look at what is being asked of you.

1. The giving of advice: It doesn’t ask if you are degreed or not, but what it does demand is that you are fairly clued up on criminal law, or at least able to research for answers, because as I understand it, that will be one of your main roles.

2. What are your problem solving skills like? Are you a person with ideas who can plan ahead and research into new projects? Are you open to challenges, new ideas . . . . ?

3. Having experience of the CJS is not really applicable as everyone applying will have that.

4. Have you managerial experience and are you able to work both on your own and/or as a group? In other words, can you be left on your own to get on with it and are you also able to fit in with the rest of the small but tightly knit group in an office setting? As in, how’s your personality?

5. How is your telephone manner, writing; are you able to put forward coherent answers in a confident but tactful manner? (That would exclude me then even if I were in the UK lol )!

6. One person is going to get the job. It might be you, it might not. Don’t despair if it’s not, it’s not the end of the world and if you feel you haven’t got the qualifications for the job, now is the time to start thinking why not and preparing yourself for the next job like this that comes along. A wake up call? :-)  

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

Folie (Re: The wake up call)

I think the point being missed Folie, is that this is not a training course; this is the real thing. Methinks this isn’t a position similar to a check out operator at your local KFC, where job training is given before you’re allowed to serve and little coloured stars are given denoting your proficiency. A high degree of expertise is being sought from the outset, hence my parting comment that if someone wants to get into this line of work, it might be better to study some of the issues that will be involved first before applying? Perhaps I’m wrong, but I think that a position for someone who is a ‘Jack of all trades’ this job isn’t.

My living abroad does not qualify me to be a travel agent and my many years spent as a HGV driver will not provide me with knowledge to be a car salesman. Hence, I am neither of these.

The job is asking for a considerable degree of knowledge in certain fields and the ability to convey it to others, plus research skills and project development. You say, “I have many friends in very good jobs who don't have all those skill's.” That’s why your friends won’t be applying for this particular post and are employed elsewhere; some do have these skills and they are the ones who might land themselves a good job.

Yet why not apply? It will probably take you ten minutes to fill out the application form and a first class stamp. Certainly the position is a “challenge” as you say; are you up to it? If you feel you’re not able to cope at this level, then perhaps something less demanding might be more suitable?   

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

Folie

Mmm, I see your point. I don’t want to get into a usual essay mode, but in these recession hit times, a distinct knowledge of anything can be played on and you’re right that there’s usually a cross over of skills, but not always. Perhaps as a HGV driver I wouldn’t have the patience or required qualities to teach others. A fitter would bring in another whole new world of mechanics and engineering, etc’. I currently lecture well over a thousand students a week, yet I’d be stuck on what to say if I had to knock on someone’s door to sell them Uncle Ian’s magic carpet cleaner!   

A little intuition tells me that UNLOCK are seeking to replace Chris Bath in this position? A little wander around the site will show you what Chris was up to and the projects he was involved in. A little too liberal for me, but the methodology and academic presentation were above reproach. In other words, he knew his stuff (or how to research it) and that stuff was the CJS. It’s not something you can ‘experience’ because that experience will be subjective. I would say it also requires an academic knowledge of criminology, law, penology, politics . . . apart from the usual necessary personal qualities of individual/group involvement in the project work. Its specific skills and knowledge they’re asking for and not undefined qualities used in another everyday role.

The forum makes criminology and the CJS look straightforward; black and white, right or wrong . . . . . In reality it’s a minefield of contradictions, politics and pressure groups and that’s apart from the academics of it. I suppose that’s why I used to get exasperated with the, ‘it says on a website I read’ or ‘I . . . must . . . obey’ crowd. Yes, the job is not for everyone, but it’s not about intelligence, it’s about knowledge in that specific area that is required and not simply an opinion.

Having said all that, I didn’t write the specifics for this job and perhaps it sounds harsher than intended? There again, perhaps it was written intentionally to weed out those not suitable before the interview process? I quickly scanned through the specifics and found it normal enough for what is intended and suitable for most under graduate third year students of criminology, or at a pinch, sociology. Disclaimer - All simply my opinion of course. :-)

Good luck to those that apply – a new start, a new location and who knows where that can lead to? A new life for the price of a first class stamp! 

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

My definition of intelligence; objectively and subjectively.

1. Knowing things that enable you to move onwards and upwards in life. The ability to make the right decisions based on previous knowledge gained.

2. Gain the knowledge, adapt it to your current position and then adapt yourself to take advantage.

In our positions I would say its having knowledge of the political system; being able to predict trends, reliance on your own abilities and totally ignore anything the government tells you. Whilst I was ignoring the laws of the UK, it now appears that the rest were breaking the Human Rights Act by declaring their convictions. It appears they weren’t being honest, but were being misled. The intelligence comes from knowing this and not being an automaton and one of the herd.

I’m sure Mr. Cameron would be disgusted, (physically ill), that I have the vote and a professional career, but to tell you the truth, its better than my hanging about unemployed on street corners with a bottle of cheap cider. (Which is where he and his LASPO think I should be).

Intelligence comes from presenting yourself as who you are and not the mistake you once were. How can you move on if you’re forever reverting to your past? In whose best interests is that? Life is what we choose make it, not what someone else tells us it should be. Knowing this and believing in our abilities is what will help us to succeed, not LASPO or some drivel put out on a website for the herd to interpret and get excited about. As that wise old owl Eustace says, two steps forward and three steps back!

Believe in yourself, ignore the politicians and you’ll be amazed at how different life suddenly looks and the chances that start to appear. Intelligence? In my opinion, it’s a frame of mind mixed with past experience and future abilities.

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

By SouthernChap - 26 May 12 1:38 PM

Oh look Folie...you got the knock back from Unlock and you didn't get an email\letter\postcard\ gorilla-gram back to tell you so and why. Well, that's a shame but it's the way of the world these days. The vast majority of organisations will only get in contact if they want to offer you the job.

A general, widespread and lamentable drop in standards of courtesy? You betcha .

A good reason for you to come on here and bitch about this post that you haven't even applied for? Not in the least.

Oh but well done for having got one of the most tactful and restrained responses from Ian. When I saw his moniker, I winced in anticipation of the fisking...He's obviously got a glass of good malt in his hand. lol

“IanC; An extreme, eccentric poster that first caresses the senses with his rich aromas, firm texture and full, ripe flavour, then dramatically explodes into jubilant freshness. Rich, radiant gold illuminated by slender streams of bubbles.His writings teams the nose with the tartness of fresh pear and candied lemon, the roundness of ripe fruit and nougatine. Then even as the reader is revelling in the smooth, mellow flavours of honey, gingerbread and mocha, this astounding poster unleashes his exuberant crescendo of freshness that is at once totally unexpected and utterly IanC.”

Yes, yes Folie, that about sums me up.

P.S Tut tut, my posting name is IanC, not Krug. Like a fine and aged wine unleashing his delicate flavours upon the  masses . . . pure poetry. Hark, do I feel another State funeral coming on in time?  lol lol lol

Back to business. nono

As for posting, (and fisking), I took on board the two comments from months ago; a) sod off and b) don’t post too much. If people want to believe that politicians are going to help them then perhaps it’s best to live in hope and ignorance? If people demand that employers change their stance, then so be it. If people truly believe in non-discriminatory websites, then let them.  I’ve been in this game too long to believe any more and went my own way . . .hopefully, unlike myself, it won’t also take you twenty years on the ROA to figure that out. When I look at LASPO and the comments of the government to ‘do as little as possible to comply with ECHR rulings’ it all sort of falls into place, doesn’t it?

Opinion idea

I answered the post of Folie because I can see some struggling going on there as to what I think is required in this UNLOCK post. I could think of three or four on the forum that fulfill the criteria and if this advert were put in the guardian, hundreds. All this is a kind of game; OK I know it doesn’t feel like it when you’re on the receiving end, but just like your day in court, there’s lots of people paying lip service to all this and making lots of money out of it. In my opinion, one of UNLOCK’s main active roles is to bring to people’s attention that it’s not a game and damages many people’s lives still further. In that context, I see the role also as one of research and that’s the difficulty – trying to convince those making money out of it all to combine their creative talents and put them to better use. At the moment I’m afraid I see it as flogging a dead horse, but in time with the end of the recession and a depleted skilled workforce, who knows?

The usual disclaimer – my opinions, not UNLOCK’s.

With all due respect
Regards

Marmite

By Christopher Stacey - 18 Jun 08 1:26 PM

Dear All,

I'm not wanting to get drawn on some of the elements of this conversation, but, if I may just clarify a couple of things, as well as add a few bits of advice from my perspective:

1. This job isn't to replace Chris B. As mentioned when Chris B left, we've restructured things. This vacancy will sit within the Helpline, which is what I manage, i.e. Services.

2. As always with job vacancies, you're looking for the best. How do you know that you're the best? You don't! All you can do is as yourself whether you fit the job description. If you think you do, then apply. What have you got to lose?

3. folie a deux - not sure when you applied (and didn't get a reply), but can only assume this was the last job vacancy we had (which, in this context, I'm embarassed to say I got!)? If so, as Southern Chap says, it's a sad fact that employers (certainly small charities like Unlock) rarely have the resources to respond to all applications. However, in reference to your community service of 2011, I'm not sure of who you are, but I recall an instance where this was inquired into. From memory, I asked the person to get Probation to contact us, but this didn't happen. Sadly, we can't do much in that situation. But, we have recently had talks with Kent Probation about how something like this would work. Our concern is that people may feel that being at our office is a punishment - not something we want!

4. To everybody that's reading this, if I can give some personal advice.

Five years ago, I was sat in my little room in a student flat up in Leeds. I regularly used the Unlock site, and one night, I happened to see a job vacancy. That was February 2007. I thought - "what have I got to lose". So, I applied. It was a rare opportunity that I just couldn't afford to turn a blind eye to. It was ideal in so many ways.

I'll never forget the long 4 hour drive from Leeds, setting off at 6am, and getting here about 2 hours early for my interview, sat in the car par across the road thinking "where the hell am I". On the drive back, I remember saying to my girlfriend - "I think I might have a chance at that - we've got some talking to do". I didn't get back until 10pm. That was one hell of a day. Then, a couple of days later, I found out I'd got the job.

I took the job. It wasn't easy. I had to move 240 miles, be away from my girlfriend for over 6 months (until she managed to find a job), I rented a room in a house (as I couldn't afford my own place). I did what was necessary.

Why? Because I knew it was such a great opportunity. At the time, the job that I took was very similar to the one we're advertising for now. In that scenario, I'm the new Chris B, and this job is for a new Chris S. That doesn't mean we're looking for exactly the same. I'm not the same as Chris B (I like to think I make decisions much quicker!). And this new person doesn't have to have a law degree and speak with a Yorkshire accent.

But, they do need to be good at the job. The risk with advertising this job as "for somebody with a conviction", it could suggest some tokenism. That's certainly not the case. First and foremost, the person needs to be good at the job.

If there is one point that I could get across, though, is how fantastic an opportunity it is. I could never have imagined coming straight out of University, and be doing the kinds of things I've done. The opportunities I've had, the people I've met, the projects I've been involved in, and the chances I've had to develop myself personally, I don't thing could have been matched elsewhere. Unlock is a tiny organisation, so all of these opportunities are often balanced with some of the more mundane elements to the job, having an office without central heating etc. And, if that's not for you, then don't bother applying. But, if you think you can do the job, thing you can bring something new and exciting to the charity, and are passionate and determined to help this charity continue to deliver excellent services for people with convictions, then what are you waiting for!

Folie, I'm still not sure when you didn't hear a response back from Unlock? As I see the situation, we responded to you, but then Kent Probation didn't follow this up with us?

As for the application process, this won't be changing I'm afraid. It's not just the SAE (logistically that would be difficult anyway, as most applications are via email!). But, we've given a date to people which, if they've not heard back from us, they should assume they're not successful.

Yes, it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't be a major issue. For people who are genuinely interested in the job, it shouldn't put them off (I hope)

More broadly, I think one thing people on this forum often forget is that the forum is only a part (and a small part at that) of what Unlock does.

Folie - I'm pleased we've clarified what happened in relation to probation.

In terms of you not receiving a response to your job application, this could only have been our vacancy from 5 years ago. We've checked this, and we didn't receive an application from you. If it's an application for the current vacancy, then the closing date hasn't passed yet. So, I'm still confused on that one?

As for updating the Forum about our site, that would cause unnecessary duplication I'm afraid, although we do post important information (like job vacancies etc) on here from time to time, but the main Unlock site has to be the place for the original content. So, members of the Forum should be encouraged to look at the main site. In addition, theRecord (and, more broadly, our e-updates) is something that all members should sign up to. That's our main communication tool.
By SouthernChap - 26 May 12 1:38 PM

Good for you and props for the altruistic approach. ;-)
By Jonno 3 - 1 Mar 13 7:13 PM

Perhaps you could post on this thread the results of your interview process, and let us know when you have selected the successful candidate? Just a thought! :-)
By Foxtrot - 6 Mar 12 8:26 PM

I thought Numan had got it.....

yeah

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Oh, okay. Has there been an announcement to that effect?
If he has, congrats to him! :-)

Numan hasn't applied.

We're interviewing today and Friday.

Is there an update on this situation, please? It would be nice if someone could post a sitrep, because the silence is deafening! Wink

Will be sending out an e-update when the new person starts.
By Anonymous - 12 Apr 13 3:50 PM

* Removed *

Post Edited (Q5) : 01/08/2013 14:36:16 (GMT+1)

Wow Chris, still no news! I told you that I was the best person for the position! I could have been in place for the past month! Wink

Congratulations to Debbie on her appointment. With all best wishes for her in this role!