theForum

Rejection from Uni to study due to convictions...advice needed

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic6694.aspx

By Hola - 20 Jan 16 6:05 PM

I have a similar offence to yours, so without realizing it would think you're being risk assessed every time you see your PPU officer, so think of what questions they and the PO ask you. I'd expect the interview to be similar to your early days under supervision - have you taken responsibility, understand victim empathy ( primary and secondary ), what intervention mechanisms have you got ( even if you don't have any make some up ! ), hobbies, are family supportive, why do you want to do the course ? etc

I suppose also they might ask how you feel being in contact with so many ' young people ' will affect you ? If I were you I'd go ready with an answer to that - won't be alone with them, no longer interested in anything but your own age range, realise your maladaptive thinking etc etc - ie pull out all the learnings / observations from the ISOTP course ( if you did it ? )
Finally I know what DtS means, but I don't think I'd be contrite ... I'd say be accountable but assertive - you have taken responsibility for what happened, been punished ( rightly ) for it, but now you want a fair chance to move on !

GOOD LUCK !
By Square - 27 May 15 6:16 PM

I am pretty sure that they would not be going to all this effort unless they were taking your application very seriously.

I would be preparing answers to some of the harder questions you could expect:
- Why did you commit the offence?
- What exactly was your offence?
- What was your sentence?
- What work have you done to ensure that you don't reoffend?
- Why should we trust you?

You should also think about some of the standard university application questions:
- Why do you want to study x?
- What do you know about the institution?

Good luck - and keep us posted.
By RunningMan - 1 Feb 15 7:33 PM

*UPDATE #5*
Just got back from the meeting. It went extremely well; they asked positive questions with a focus on seeing the bigger picture of who I am as well as considering any potential risk and how it might be managed if they offered me a place. I felt a 'warmth' from them and they both seemed to come to the table with genuinely open minds about my past. How refreshing! They did not give an indicator of their recommendations but I picked up that it would be in my favour. However, this is, of course. no guarantee of an offer. That is up to the Vice Chancellor alone. They aim to have a final decision for me by the end of Feb. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again to you all for reading/posting.

RM

*UPDATE #6*
Great news: I found out this morning that the Vice Chancellor of the University has granted my appeal and I have been offered a place on the Course starting in September. It does come with certain conditions about where I can (and cannot) go but I suppose that was to be expected. Many, many thanks to you all for posting and encouraging and also to Deb S at Unlock who helped review my appeal before I sent it.

RM (with a big smile on his face)
By JohnL - 10 Sep 15 1:13 PM

RunningMan, congratulations. This is a great win for you and just shows us all that fighting your corner can often produce a good result. Would you mind sharing what sort of conditions they've applied, even if it's just a rough idea.

I'd also be very interested to know more about how you managed to challenge your original inclusion on the barring lists, and what the eventual outcome was?
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi RM

Bet that's the best Easter present you've ever had.

So pleased for you.

Keep us updated.

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Hello JohnL

Thanks for your post. The nature of the conditions will probably not come as any surprise: they simply restrict my access to places like the University Creche and Sports Centre. Not really a problem as I want to study - not get a six pack!

The DBS appeal process has been covered well by other folks on the Forum (cut and paste the thread below into your browser - I think you have contributed already).

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/default.aspx?f=39&m=25680&g=27052#m27052

My own experience is very similar. I was notified by what was then called the ISA that I had been included on the Barred Lists and I had a limited period of time to make representations to be removed. They sent through all the documentation they had received to date. This packet can include a wide range of data, from your entry on the PNC to minutes from safeguarding meetings about behaviour, Police interviews and so on. Don't be surprised about how much information they provide and where it comes from - it is all part of the process.

Write a factual, evidence-based document that shows you are not a risk of future offending/recidivism. Don't write in a whining, 'It's not fair, I've been treated so harshly' tone - they don't care. All they are interested in is assessing any future risk you may pose. All your representations should be geared towards addressing this understandable concern. Make clear you have taken responsibility for your choices and have sought to address your offending behaviour. Give context and where your offending behaviour sits on the sliding scale as defined by Sentencing Guidelines used by both Magistrates and Judges. Was it out of character? Were there other victims? Has there been similar offending in the past? Are you genuinely remorseful? Use reports and insight from external sources if at all possible to corroborate all this. For example, Probation Reports, TVSOC Reports, Therapist reports (I paid to see a private therapist and she was willing to write a detailed reference) as well as character references from people who know you and can help the DBS see the bigger picture of who you are.

Once you have put together your case, ask two or three trusted people to read it with a critical eye. I am sure folks at Unlock would be happy to assist too. This is important - it is all too easy to lose perspective and letting other people see it will help improve your submission and address 'blind spots'. Once you have done that, send it off (registered delivery) and wait and see what comes back.

Remember: the appeal process is there for a reason. Make full use of it. Hope this helps.
RM
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi RM

This is absolutely fantastic news - a great Easter present for you.

Hope it all goes really well for you.

Deb

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

*FINAL UPDATE*

Hello Everyone. Just to confirm that the University sent through a formal offer of a place on the course last week and today I emailed my acceptance. It's official - I'm in. I guess I had a (very irrational) fear that they would change their mind and withdraw the offer - pessimistic I know - so I wanted to wait until I had the formal offer in my hand (or my inbox at least). Now I've got it, it feels real.

I hope my story encourages those of you out there in a similar position. Never, never give up because it will work out for good in the end.

RM
By NigelV2 - 7 Aug 15 7:46 AM

Good luck on the course Smile
I studied an Art degree and had to declare my convictions, I didn't get rejected but they only agreed on the deadline date for places. Conditions were not living in student accommodation etc. again nothing that bothered me.
Finished my degree last year (with a first Smile)), only down side was that during the last month, someone googled my name and found out about my past. Lost a few friends, but could have been worse.
Since then I've gone through a few things - just waiting for new passport as I've changed my name and looking forward (with a bit of trepidation) to a new start Smile

It's always worth giving things a go - hard work is sometimes rewarded by great opportunities!
By Btur - 12 Apr 16 1:40 PM

Hi I am thinking of applying for University as a mature student ( Im 56!) and having spoken to a couple of course heads I am confident I would get a place. However I have a conviction for a serious offence. What I would like help with, is if you tick the criminal convictions box, what happens after that? What exactly is the process? Also, I would also be a Google away from being embarrassed.
By DeterminedToSucceed - 30 May 14 5:40 PM

RM - although of course you shouldn't pre-empt the outcome, I read that as really positive. Are they obligated to meet with you as part of their own policies? - if not, I'm doubly reassured. Be confident (but contrite)! Best of luck.