theForum

College Application

https://forum.unlock.org.uk/Topic6726.aspx

By Nik - 22 Jan 16 9:42 PM

My Daughter is leaving school this year and wants to attend college to complete a Childcare Course.

On the Application Form it states that my Daughter may be Disqualified through,

1 - Having certain orders or other restrictions placed upon them,
2 - Having committed certain offences,
3 - Living in the same household as someone who is disqualified by virtue of 1 or 2 above (This is known as disqualification by association)
4 - Living in the same household where someone who is disqualified by virtue of 1 or 2 above works (This is known as disqualification by association)

On the form it has a question asking if anyone in the household is disqualified from working with children under the regulations or has anyone in the household been cautioned, reprimanded, given a warning or convicted of any offence they list in a section on the form. 3 of those I can clearly say no to but the one I have to say yes to is conviction of an offence against a child.

My daughter lives with me and has done all her life. I got convicted of Child Neglect against her back in 2010, A primary school teacher did not see me dropping her off or picking her up from school even though I was outside the fence hence my conviction.

My worry is my daughter will not be able to do this course because of me. I would like some advice of what I should do?
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi Nik

Welcome to the Forum.

If your conviction is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act then she has no legal obligation to disclose it and should absolutely tick the 'No' box which relates to the cautions or convictions of people living in the same household.

If your conviction isn't spent then she will need to mention it on the application form. Her next step would then be going through the process of getting a Waiver from OFSTED.

If you're unsure whether or not your conviction is spent, then it might be worth you giving the Unlock Helpline a call. We have received many calls on this subject and if you would just like to have a chat about this disclosure and what she should and shouldn't say then feel free to give us a call.

Best wishes

Debbie

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

By Nik - 22 Jan 16 9:42 PM

Thank you very much.

My conviction is definitely spent as I asked the unlock helpline a couple of years ago.
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Fantastic news. Your daughter has got nothing to worry about at all.

Wishing her all the best with her childcare course.

Best wishes

Debbie

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline