Small Mortgage needed for a right to buy property but I have a fraud conviction

By bigbird - 21 Nov 13 11:39 AM

My ex husband is giving me a lump sum as part of our seperation and I want to purchase my council property, I would like to use half the lump sum as deposit and get a small mortgage for the rest. that way I can be secure for a good few years that will tide me over. Mortgages seem available until they hear the fraud word then they run for the hills. Any thoughts or companies that are able to help?
Thanks in advance
By Deb S - 16 Sep 11 1:36 PM

Hi bigbird

Have a look at our Information Hub page on mortgages -

You did not mention whether your conviction is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act but, once it is, you would not need to disclose it to any lender.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit

By bigbird - 21 Nov 13 11:39 AM

Thanks hun my conviction is unspent so I realise I have to fess up to it. Will check out the link you suggested thanks again