theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Hello, I have a dilemma...

Hello, I have a dilemma...

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

We'd love to see the form you've been given - any chance that you can email it to us at advice@unlock.org.uk and mark it for my attention 'Debbie'.

Also if you've got a copy of the Job Description that you can send, it may be worth considering whether this level of check is eligible and possibly flagging it up as ineligible with the DBS. We can advise how to go about this.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Need Unlock's advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)Supreme Being (8K reputation)

franksidebottom said...
Cheers ChrisT
As per Debbie's post I have emailed her with all of the info.
Because I don't *need* to make a disclosure (I really don't think, in the best case scenario) I would rather not at this stage in case everything does come back filtered and then I've got myself into a situation where I'll be questioned.
I certainly won't be on any barred lists and that's another good thing.

Still got everything crossed Smile

I would believe that the filtering rule wouls sort you out.
Good luck and update us with your success story
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)Supreme Being (17K reputation)

I can't see it being much of a problem unless your employer has a 'no conviction' policy. Just disclose and be honest - I know Unlock can provide disclosure advice which would be useful.

From my interactions with government employers some years ago they are normally open minded unless you are on the 'barred' lists. You also have time passed on your side. Good luck!
franksidebottom
franksidebottom
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)

Cheers ChrisT
As per Debbie's post I have emailed her with all of the info.
Because I don't *need* to make a disclosure (I really don't think, in the best case scenario) I would rather not at this stage in case everything does come back filtered and then I've got myself into a situation where I'll be questioned.
I certainly won't be on any barred lists and that's another good thing.

Still got everything crossed Smile
franksidebottom
franksidebottom
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)Supreme Being (742 reputation)

Greetings fellow hardened 'crims' and 'lags'.... smilewinkgrin

I've got a bit of a dilemma on my hands.

21 years ago I did a silly thing whilst under severe negative pressure. I was deemed to be a 'convict' for my misdemeanour of theft and did my time, completing my short community service order and paid my small fine.
Since then, I have had jobs where I've had some serious responsibility in the big bad world of business. Because of the recession, and losing our jobs 5 years ago, I decided to do something that *I* have always wanted to do, and that's teach. I got my degree in my subject, bummed around for a couple of years doing my thing, and have had some self-employment work.

I'm now also qualified to teach adults and that's what I do, working for my local authority a couple of days a week. It's all going very well. They decided not to do a DBS check because they felt it wasn't needed as I never work alone, even though I might come into contact with people with disabilities or challenging behaviours. I am sure the work I do is not considered 'Regulated' given what I've tried to read here there and everywhere.

Anyway...

I've now got a second teaching job, one night a week at our local college, again teaching adults.

The application forms they have given me include a DEMAND for disclosure which I'm not happy about. Their forms seem well out of date and it also seems the 'standard' form for a typical 16-19 college tutor (which I'm not). So, as I don't come into contact with youngsters in the line of my work I don't fit that box ticking exercise. Whilst I have no problem going through the DBS check they have asked of me, I am now bricking it because I cannot remember for the life of me whether I was actually convicted on one or two counts. I do recall being accused of two counts, but not whether I have the two dreaded convictions for the same thing. Their form doesn't even say to which level the DBS check will be undertaken, it just says on their website: 'appropriate' DBS check.

So, after much much reading on here and a helpful email response from NACRO I have sent off for a Subject Access request to see exactly what's on my record. I just really hope it arrives in time for the beginning of September otherwise the NO box has been ticked on my forms (I really honestly thought that everything would qualify for filtering now) but the doubt is there in my mind and that's why I've sent off for the info. It really is nonsensical that we cannot be allowed to have a minor conviction for the same thing on two counts filtered out. I don't want to get into bother for 'lying' on my application forms and DBS form if the SAR doesn't come in time for me starting the job, or, that the DBS comes back not clear and then I have to go and explain myself. And then I'll have to tell my other half who doesn't know a thing about the whole sorry episode as it was so long ago.

I'd be happy to send a copy of the form to you guys I've been given for the demand for disclosure as I really think it's worded wrongly (I would of course redact some of the info if required).

Light a candle for me folks, as I really don't want to have to go through the begging letters to the college and then they'll tell my other employers (who know I've got the 2nd job and would want to know why I don't end up getting it...the boss has even recommended me for the job to them!) which means I'd probably end up losing both sodding jobs. I can also only pray for leniency.
GO