theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Starting a business ?

Starting a business ?

Author
robanderson
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)Supreme Being (562 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I'm new in my business and I want some guidance.
Square
Square
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)Supreme Being (16K reputation)

The internet issue is frustrating but not impassible. Depending on your conviction your Offender Manager may be open to the idea of letting you access the internet at the library or a similar location which can be monitored. Also, remember that not now does not mean not never.

What I would suggest is looking at a few local antiques centers/ second hand stores who may be willing to host your stock for a small fee plus a share of profit. This does not only negate your licence issues but also keeps your running costs to a minimum. I have been in a similar (ish) situation - you just need to really think outside the box.
Robin
Robin
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)Supreme Being (286 reputation)

I could well be putting this in the wrong section but I am interested to hear from anyone who has thought of setting up a business post conviction but encountered problems as I describe here. My thoughts, wanting to be productive, support myself and be occupied are / were to set up my own upcycling business (furniture restoration). I sought advice, passed a credit check and read up, then I ran the idea passed my Offender Manager ! Seemingly I wouldn't be allowed to set up a shop, which wasn't really my intention, or trade on-line as both of these would fall foul of my licence condtions. The shop issue was that I wouldn't know who would be visiting my shop i.e under 18's but then I can visit shops every day as part of daily life. The on-line issue I can in part understand but then not as we need the internet to live and exist these days. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered these sort of issues and can advise / help ?
GO