theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Self Employment

Self Employment

Author
Foxtrot
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Self-employment has been the only way for me. No CRBs or office gossip, just me an the wife (and my eldest now wanting a bigger role!). It has been tough, real tough at times with sleepless nights, no holidays, robbing Peter to feed Paul and so forth.

I've bypassed the 'hosting' issues by having an Ebay shop - yes you have to swallow the fees (which can be passed on to the customer anyway - shhh), but you don't have the hassle of maintaining your own site, which can take away many man hours.

It's worked for me, but I have a keen interest in the area I deal with and always have. It sometimes feels like I've turned a hobby into a job, but it's harder than that. Money is the only issue - income is not regular and comes in peaks and troughs, but you plan for it. Materials is not an issue at present as other traders are desperate for your business, so there are good deals to be made. However, this can then be reflected in the need to lower one's own prices depending on the economic picture. Anyway, I'm rambling.

I would encourage anyone to go self-employed. If you manage to make it work, the rewards can be great - not just the monetary rewards, but the psychological ones.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Being ignorant is not a problem as long as you are willing to learn.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)Supreme Being (11K reputation)

Q3 said...

There are still some secure jobs, and my advice is, if you have a job, hang on to it for as long as you can.

That's not really the argument. Of course there's jobs out there - there's also a long line of unemployed with no criminal record. There is a thread at the moment about someone who has lost 2 job opportunities due to having a record, despite him saying it was declared. So that is the issue. What do those with a record do if they keep getting knocked back?

There are 2 realistic ways - knowing someone who will give you a job, or going it alone. Even a 'proper' job is no guarantee these days, with the 'zero-hour' contracts, fixed length contracts, employers firing a whole workforce then forcing new contracts, big name stores going to the wall and so on. Job security today is the lowest it has been for a long, long time. Even once untouchable state jobs are disappearing.

My only real advice for self-employment is to choose an area that you know.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

I don't think this thread is about giving up a job more what do those with a conviction who have no job - what options do they have? The skills and talents one has can be applied to self-employment. Branson had the charm and persona, that was his skill.

Btw, Branson's dad was a barrister and his granddad was a 'right honourable' High Court judge - it always helps if you can fall back on money when starting up a business.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

smilewinkgrin 

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...
And me Ian !

So, come on Foxtrot, why don't you share this really great e-bay business model with us ?

I am sure that there are many on here just chomping at the bit to give up the daily grind, their zero hour contracts, and low wages and sit in from of their PC's waiting for the orders to flood in.

You never know Rodney, by this time next year, you might just be a...

So you want me to provide a link to my ebay shop, showing my full name, address, phone number and email? Perhaps I should do it to dispel the 'Paul' myth.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...

I get a feeling that your telling porkies, because if this great idea was true, surely you would like to rub all our noses in your glory.

I somehow think that the answer is going to be blush">   or  mad  but come on Trotter prove us wrong.

What on earth is wrong with you? Is that PTSS kicking in or what? I really think you need to get off this forum and seriously consider your own mental health issues as they are clearly having an effect on your thought processes. That 'section leader' post or whatever is was certainly allows you plenty of time to float around the forum all day. Perhaps you could spend some of that time contacting the thousands of other Ebay shop owners and let them know how you feel.

I've never said I live a life of luxury, far from it, but it's enough to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table, clothes in the cupboard and petrol in the car. I've said there are peaks and troughs, but you plan for them - a good month doesn't mean a spending spree as you have to prepare for a bad month.

To me, it sounds like jealousy, made worse by underlying mental health issues, that lets you sit and snipe whilst others are trying to get on. Such a shame.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...

In regards to VAT registration, please try and at least get your facts right. 

Some goods and services are exempt from VAT, such as insurance and finance, education and training, and charitable fund-raising events.

If all of the goods and services you sell are exempt, your business is exempt and you won't be able to register for VAT,

It's obvious that you feel  embarrassed by actually sharing any details about your " e-bay" business. 

We all know that  various agencies in the UK, check forum post's, in regards to certain activities. 

Regardless of registration for VAT, anybody that buys items and then re-sells them is responsible for paying tax on their profits.

Even dotNetBB  allows IP tracking, so good luck Rodney.

Hmmm... the font seems to be getting bigger - just waiting for the ones written in green crayon. Bit difficult to sell insurance and finance on ebay. Not quite sure what the comments about IP tracking is about, perhaps another paranoid episode? I declare any earnings - got no choice really with everything going through paypal. Fortunately I can use both my wife's and my tax thresholds - every little helps.

Now Q3, are you going to be a nice little soldier and stop trying to deflect from your own very obvious deficiencies, or are you going to continue to embarrass yourself with continued sh*t flinging from your cage? That's surely no way for a section leader to behave - don't forget the example you need to set to your team. Maybe you should take a double dose of the medication you're on tonight.

IanC... compromise? Where's the fun in that?

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...

Q3 also said : "No need to provide details of your e-bay shop, just asking you to truthfully share a few of those super business ideas that you employ, that ensure that you and your family enjoy a life style that only a very few of us can, especially if we work for others can enjoy ".

So Mr Trotter, what's so secret you can't share this simple but very effective e-bay business idea with us ?.

You even have your family working with you now, its so so successful.  

Is this so called "business", supporting your weekly benefits payment ?, because you seem to be on here a lot also ?..

As for my job, well, I am now on 4 days paid leave, so plenty of time to hear from the master of e-bay.

No sniping here FT, just searching for the truth, so before you run to the headmaster, think about your answer. 

I am sure I am not the only one waiting to hear what you sell, if anything.

You really are an unstable fantasist aren't you? I don't even know where to begin with your increasingly bizarre posts. The continued changing of font styles is surely an indication of some sort of multiple personality disorder. The continued lip curling sniping from the boundaries is possibly some sort of inferiority complex.

Benefits? Certainly been there before, but at the moment it's just the usual tax credits available, which come in helpful. Mind you, even if I was earning 60k per year, I could still claim those. My wife does the admin side of the business, my eldest... well does what he can, but he's not really able to earn from it. But he's only 14, so he's got other things to worry about. I'm not quite sure what you want me to share with you - there's no big secret or master plan.

IanC... an to register for an ebay business requires no special costs - you just register with them as such. The only difference with regular ebay selling is that you need to adhere to additional distance selling rules, and if you envisage turning over more than 79k per year (which I think is the 2013 level), you need to register with the VAT-man. But the advice already given is sound - try as a private seller to start with.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

Q3 said...
Still no mention of the type of business then ?...I guess that is a little secret, like may others, that will never be disclosed.

Going through some of your 625 posts, you seem fixated with "Sexual offences" and discussions on "Sex offenders".

Sorry mate, in hindsight, and bearing in mind your strange views and almost fetish type obsession, I don't think your really the type of person I want to talk to anymore. 

Good-Bye . 

Did the aliens leave in the anal probe Q3? Did you go up for seconds at the stupid counter? This really is getting so worrying. Why are you still browsing a forum at gone midnight, trawling through old posts? Are the special interest adult sites better at that time of night? Clearly your promotion to section leader is part of some curious experiment - perhaps to see how quickly you can stack the dented soup cans in your aisle or whether you can be trusted to use the mop.

It has become evident that your previous incarnation was not a real soldier, but perhaps playing with toy soldiers – or maybe even ‘Call of Duty’ on your X-Box. I would be concerned if you were allowed anywhere near a real firearm. One that fires bubbles is more your level and if you’re good, you may progress to one that fires a cork. Even Barry George has more credibility.

Still, hopefully your Mum will have your breakfast ready for you soon, all cut up into little soldiers (hey, perhaps that’s the soldiers you mean?!) She may have even crushed your pills up into your milk. Remember though, don’t stay up too late tonight otherwise the sandman won’t pay you a visit with more dreams of army-men, and maybe even a dream where you’re Batman.

“Bruce Wayne to clean up in aisle 2”

Foxtrot
Foxtrot
Supreme Being

IanC, without wanting to use the forum to give free advertising:

With Ebay, the buyer usually pays through Paypal which is effectively a clearing house – money gets sent from their Paypal account to yours in an instant transaction. The buyer doesn’t need a Paypal account as they can pay directly from their card via ebay. You’re free to accept other forms of payment if you wish, ie cheques, PO’s etc. In regards to shipping costs, you can either have the buyer pay this, or add this cost to your selling price.

Paypal charge you 3.4% + 20p in normal circumstances for each transaction, which they take immediately. Therefore if you sell something for £50, the cleared funds paid to you will be £48.10. Fees can be reduced slightly if your monthly turnover goes into higher thresholds. You can receive payments via what is generally known as a ‘Paypal Gift’ – you give the sender the email address linked to your Paypal account, and they simply transfer funds to you. There is no fee on this, but it’s not something you could use continually without raising concerns.

You can then withdraw funds from your Paypal account into your bank account. When you first set an account up, this can take up to 72 hours until you go past their ‘security’ period, which I think is about 4 weeks. After that, any withdrawals should cleared in your account within couple of hours, depending on the day and holidays. The fastest one I had was about 45 mins.

Be aware though, that once a transaction is complete, you will be able to see each other’s personal details – name, address, email etc. Obviously the seller needs this info to send the product, but the buyer will see yours too. This is the same for both private and business sellers.

There are other overheads with ebay such as listing fees and final valuation fees, which vary depending on the starting prices and selling category – the listing fees normally range from 10p to £1, with other options available, and the final valuation fee is normally 10% of the final price, but with a cap of £75 – if you sell something for £2000, the final fee will be £75 not £200. Private sellers can take advantage of ‘free listing weekend’ offers that crop up roughly every 2 weeks. Ebay invoice these charges once a month. As a business seller, it’s easy to pass these fees onto the buyer, ie if you are happy to accept £10 on an item, sell it for £11.50 – a little simplistic, but you get the drift.

If anyone really wants to know, the main thrust of my shop is vintage toys and collectables – well, 1960’s to 90’s if that’s classed as vintage – that have that nostalgic value. If that makes some people yawn, tough. As long as they sell, who am I to complain? I’ve got some lead toy soldiers available, but I can’t provide a link or a user-name as my name and address is there for any old nutter to see and abuse.

GO