theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Self Employment

Self Employment

Author
Anonymous

First of all, I do think self employment is an answer to many problems, but if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. Apart from obviously finding the product, my aim is to advertise it to as many people as possible and one way I can think of to do that is to set up a webpage which is a minefield of registering domain names and contacting host providers and sifting through their ‘special offers’, add-ons and unwanted garbage.

I don’t want to let this develop into my own personal crusade and the forum isn’t for promoting my own business so I’m concentrating more on what people might sell, ways to do it, ways to advertise products and so on.

Thankfully, I work in an area that is relatively closed to the world and can obtain products unavailable elsewhere, or if they are, are only supplied through large companies with all their overheads. Well, actually I don’t know anyone else who exports them. I’m a one man band so to speak and certainly not a businessman and so I’m on a learning curve myself on this one. I specialize in handmade art products and my only aim is to publicize what I can offer, leaving the recipient to email me for quotes and further details.  

I’ve often been accused of ‘running away’ from the UK, pure luck and not ‘playing the game’ that so many remain trapped in. I simply believe the vast majority have the opportunities I have and I also believe that the more people get out and about, the more opportunities present themselves. Waiting for something to happen or change has never been on my agenda. I have plenty of free time in my job and I could spend it relaxing and sleeping, (or complaining), but choose to spend it sourcing works of art, building a website, which might or might not work. You know, if we all spent as much time thinking as we do complaining, I’m pretty sure we’d move ahead a lot faster.  :-)

Anonymous
Anonymous

Q3 said...
Check out : Free Webstore : FREE to list 15 items or less, and very easy to set up !

Check out : Freeparking : Domain Names from £9.99 each.

Thanks for that. I'll certainly check these out when I have a bit of time. Busy today with the dreaded immigration police just having come back from my holidays. Stadard stuff to report back in as an alien, but something that needs to be done. shakehead
Anonymous
Anonymous

Foxtrot said...

Branson had the charm and persona, that was his skill.

A bit like me then lol
Anonymous
Anonymous

Don’t know where to start really. I might be many things but a businessman I’m not and this is all new to me. I go off instinct and I know I’ve got access to a potential goldmine. However and there’s always lots of those involved; I can only continue as long as I’m in the country I’m in now. I have a fantastic contract, renewed annually, so I’m not prepared to give that up as it’s both a salary and the only reason I have access to what I have and if I end my contract and move on, or I become ill or whatever, my access ends with it. I also don’t want to re-join the rat race to tell the truth and that’s why even if it’s successful, it will always remain p/t.

I’ve seen one large company selling my exact product (each) for hundreds and occasionally thousands of pounds. Of course, they have a professionally set up internet shop, staff, support staff, website maintenance . . . my hosting and domain name cost me 13 GBP! What they have and I don’t is access to advertising and God alone knows what they spend to get near the top of google searches. SEO, (letting people know), that’s the important thing as it is with anyone selling anything, even their labour.

I don’t consider myself self employed, it’s a hobby that I’ve just sort of dropped into. It might or might not work depending on if I can get my product exposed to potential buyers. I’m already selling them in Thailand and if I can’t get the exposure I need I’ll just carry on doing that, but at a much lesser volume rate and price than I know they’ll go for on the internet.

I think I mentioned in one thread that people need to get out and about a bit more. I stuck my CV online a few years ago and got hundreds of offers in one week. My philosophy is someone somewhere wants what you’ve got to sell, or your skills – the problem is communicating with them and letting them know you’ve got what they want. If we could all have top notch exposure to google for one week, we’d be turning buyers (and employers) away by the thousands.

Ebay is OK, but I’ve looked and it’s at the bottom end of the market in terms of prices, a sort of bargain basement selling mass produced items. I had a quick look and according to their blurb, if you want to set up a business on Ebay you need to register as a business, with all the costs involved? Oh well, I’ll carry on building my website and no doubt ideas will come to me over the course of the next few weeks as I get back into teaching the first term lot again.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Thanks. Well, I might give that ebay a try then and see what happens. UK Tax and VAT doesn't affect me here, only registered businesses pay it and you have to be a pretty big business at that. It's probably because the state doesn't need to subsidise the population, I don't know, but you just sell and that's it. They put business taxes on shipping though so I suppose that's one way they get money. My little site registers visitors, but I'll look into the SWOT thing.

Can't you two come to a compromise? :-)   

Anonymous
Anonymous

Foxtrot said...

IanC... compromise? Where's the fun in that?

Well, it stops threads getting blocked? They don't tend to give many warnings nowadays.

I'm certain about sites being monitored though, especially the UK. Things move slowly, but they do catch you in the end. That's another thing I'm glad to be away from; value added tax. You make money and pay tax, then buy something that's already had tax paid on it - and then pay more VAT? Scandalous.

This Paypal; I've already registered. So what happens? Someone wants to buy something and how do they do it? Do I have to give my customer I.D that I recieved to them or put it on the site as a reference or something?    
Anonymous
Anonymous

Q3

My product is art based. The good thing is it can only be got here unless you’re willing to pay astronomical sums to major companies to export. As I said, I tried it out in Thailand and found I can make upwards of 500% profit on each item and what I sell costs on average between 5 to 10 GBP for me to buy here, then probably another 10 GBP if I have to pay for shipping and insurance. What I pay out is pocket money and so there’s no re-investment needed. I have a couple of orders from word of mouth already once they’re seen, but its early days yet and that’s why I’m looking for a wider audience. My wife spent just spent a fiver buying one and it’s already been sold to someone in Bangkok for 51 GBP; she just has to carry it back as hand luggage on the plane next time we go back.

It’s a bit strange saying this, but I purposely don’t really want this thing to get too big. I’m aiming for the upper end of the market and so in effect I’ve already done my research and found what I have sells; it’s just that I want to bring it up to the level of a p/t job. I’ve no real business sense, it’s just that I happen to be in the right place to do all this and am working on instinct. I just know that 5 GBP sold at 50 GBP is worth building on.

Commissions are what I want to stay away from as far as possible. So far it’s cost me 13 GBP (and many hours on the computer) to set this up as I’m still on holiday and have plenty of time. That will change soon as I begin to teach and that always comes first. I’ve now got a website shop and will be building my own website when I have the time. If it works it works, if it doesn’t it’s been an experience and I’ve lost a measly 13 GBP and will continue with word of mouth sales.

Re compromise: It’s just that threads tend to get shut down if it gets too overheated. Everyone has their own way of doing things and I doubt I’ll go the ebay way if it’s based on a double commission, but others might find it works for high volume stuff? I’ve also dragged my wife into this – she benefits from what I make? She can get her finger out as well then and contribute! She can find the products, pack them and ship them and I’ll do the sales bit as she’s computer illiterate. We each play our part, but everyone has their own way of doing it. :-)

Anonymous
Anonymous

Any ideas about going it alone?
Anonymous
Anonymous

OK, I now know how it works. The difference is though that I have no stock levels. You look at the samples I offer, choose the type required, (colour, size, etc) and then contact me for further details. I then source it for you, or as near as possible and if you’re happy with the choice and price, away we go. That’s why it’s all down to advertising. When I said 50 GBP, that’s what I’d sell them for in Thailand; the western equivalent in the U.S and Australia would be nearer 180 GBP and that’s cheap compared to the commercial sites I’ve seen. I just figure if I put in the effort of carrying them back by plane, I might as well try selling to the west with a quick walk down to the post office and get a lot more?

Memorabilia. I want my ‘Johnny 7’ back, the one my Mum bought me, mid 60’s, for failing my 11+. I know you’ve got it, the one with the white plastic bullets and grenade launcher! :-)  

Anonymous
Anonymous

I’ve lost count of the number of gifts I’ve sent off over the years to various people. Now if it was bulk stuff, then yes. I’ve never had an import duty slapped on a single item yet. The UK isn’t the only country I’d export to, but what a horrible country when your own government continually tries to rob you.

Who knows, next they’ll have the police deciding if you’re a good driver or not and robbing you at the side of the road? nono I’ll sell it to you, but if your own government want to slap taxes on you there’s nothing I can do about it.      

I remember seeing the adverts for the "Jonny 7", but Father Christmas was too mean to give me one. Thanks for reminding me how it scarred my childhood.”

That bad eh? You could have mine, but unfortunately I lost it nearly 50 years ago. sad

It’s a wonder, from what I see on the news, that any of you can survive in the UK. I wonder how much of your wage goes into the government coffers? It must be a scary percentage. Local tax, salary tax, N.I, VAT, car tax, TV tax . . . . . it doesn’t happen here. You want to sell something, you sell it and to have acquired it in the first place someone has already paid tax on it. Anyway, fortunately UK tax laws don’t concern me – I’m an individual selling my property; a bit like you selling your TV or car, or look on it as a swop, an exchange. :-)   

GO