theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Meeting this afternoon - help me unravel this in my head?

Meeting this afternoon - help me unravel this in my head?

Author
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi Anchors,

To add a bit of further info to what Damag3d has said, it might be a bit late for you with this one (and hopefully you haven't got a problem now anyway) but something to know...

Your convictions are spent, so wouldn't be disclosed on a basic, but it seems they would still be disclosed on a standard/enhanced check
Not every job is legally eligible for a standard/enhanced check
If you think the employer is trying to do an ineligible check, you can raise a query with the DBS - see hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/ineligible-checks/
As it says on the above link, our advice would be to still give consent to the check, then formally raise a query (you mentioned you'd contacted them, but it's not clear whether this was through this formal route?)

horses - The formal 'mid-application eligibility query process' (as it's known) doesn't flag up to the employer that you raise it - the DBS investigate and state that it's part of their routine checking (which they do do, but just not enough in our opinion)

Anchors - let us know how you get on!

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)Supreme Being (38K reputation)

Hopefully Anchors will come back with an update at some point.

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Christopher Stacey
Christopher Stacey
Supreme Being

Precisely. The example I always use is in supermarkets, which public contact is obviously part of the job. It's usually about whether you hold a position of trust or responsibility over children/vulnerable adults.

horses
horses
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)

Well, I got a job offer - funny how I am more nervous accepting it and then have them roll out a check they aren't entitled to than the interview itself and then call me telling me that my past is unacceptable. I would actually prefer they reject me because of skills or personality.
horses
horses
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)Supreme Being (2K reputation)

The problem with getting in touch with the DBS is that it flags up to HR that you have something on the DBS, which removes the point of spent convictions if you are effectively declaring them anyway.
horses
horses
Supreme Being

That's the problem isn't it - if you have experience/qualifications, you won't get into an entry level position, because they are looking for unskilled who they can train up and pay very little - there are so many of them, they discard experienced people. You can't get experienced positions because they check using standard checks. I've written to my MP about it - but its not really a solution.
horses
horses
Supreme Being

I think that's exactly my worry - Anchors has disclosed his spent convictions essentially so it is unlikely to happen for him. For people who haven't disclosed their spent convictions (as is their right) they could get the sack.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)

Anchors:

That is good to hear but I reckon hr are just giving you that "moment" speech ie its a process or form filling task for them, once they hand over those details to your manager you may wish to prepare for that event since from my experience hr can be hit or miss depending on company and situation of course!

Some hrs look after employees while many simply say its down to the manager ie the usual fob off tale, where ever possible and within any company if they have a trade union go for this since they will essentially have a mini solicitor to defend the employees rights(course you have to be employed first!). May sound a bit boring but when the stuff hits the fan a trade union representee will support you where as staff, manager and hr won't bother in fact they will most likely break their own regulations & uk laws just to get what they desire, something to have a mental check in future times.

Yeah I understand its tricky with jobs especially with these times just suggesting its never the end you just gotta keep trying like everyone else, the amount of people that pass here with good experience and qualifications is immense one would imagine that would be the focal point of employing but as we know its your criminal record yes/no which is what counts most.

Perhaps as a suggestion next time don't disclose your details since they were spent and if a dbs check is asked say sure then sign the form and then contact dbs offices asap and I got a feeling since something has flagged on the dbs computers ie you rang in and complained or queried it then they actually legally get off their backsides and have to check into it, then you can say what a good boy you are Smile

Regardless goodluck with the new job
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)

I would have contacted dbs offices asap and asked them to put a hold on the dbs check you would at least have the chance then to explain your job role as long as your job role does not involve contact with children or elderly it in theory should not require any form of dbs check, however this is not the case many employers and dbs are allowing the full dbs reports to occur I assume some employers say since it involves some type of contact be it phone or email with children and elderly ie a customer service position or support role so some companies may use that angle to get what they want.

My theory is unless someone contacts dbs and makes a complaint then dbs carry on per normal with the dbs check since they profit from it so I would contact them asap, google dbs contact details will pop up.

Its also important to note the dbs report should come back to your home address not the employer but naturally they will ask for it also I can't say for sure but possible back lash may occur if your employer wonders where the dbs check is! I think you have disclosed it with hr so your in a bit better position for now perhaps see what hrs opinion is of the matter first.

Don't beat yourself up though jobs will come and go every 5 minutes, there are job roles where dbs checks don't occur mainly retail/shops etc
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

A jobs a job, take it from someone who has experience and qualifications I have gone from high positions to sweeping the floor you just got to do what you can do.

Alternatives are at least work and get income coming in and keep trying to apply in better positions and companies or self employment or work abroad.
GO