theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Job offer

Job offer

Author
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sue

If the job in question is not exempt from the ROA list they should not be asking for standard or enhanced they are braking the law. I would go down the route with checking with the DBS or Unlock. All so I would like to see Unlock publish yearly figures of ineligible checks form the DBS and post them on the web site. I would like to see the true extent of ineligible checks.

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)

Hi Sue

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a great tool on the Unlock Information Hub to "Establishing what level of check an employer can carry out" and I attach a link https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/establishing-eligibility/.

Just because you have convictions does not mean that the employer will revoke the job offer. You have clearly shown that you are the best person for the job and that you have the necessary skills and experience. The convictions are over 9 years old and you have explained the circumstances surrounding the convictions to HR. It's hard to know what this new employer will do but, I would have thought that if they intended to revoke the offer then they would have done this before you started work on Monday. It is more than likely that they may want to have a discussion with you when you arrive on Monday, so be prepared for this.

I understand why you haven't telephoned them but, this may be the best thing to do in order to set your mind at rest.

If you feel that it would be useful to have a chat about this, please feel free to give the Unlock Helpline a call.

Best wishes

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)Supreme Being (91K reputation)

Hi Stig

We do have some information on our Information Hub on the number of checks looked at by the DBS and I attach a link - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/ineligible-checks/. This will be something that we continue to monitor on an annual basis.

Hope this helps.

Unlock Helpline

Unlock Helpline - confidential peer advice on overcoming the effects of criminal convictions

Call: 01634 247350
Text: 07824 113848
Email: advice@unlock.org.uk
Write: Helpline, Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME6 5AG

For online self-information information, visit hub.unlock.org.uk

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)

If your job role is sitting on a desk, office and answering calls like say a help desk role I think its madness a standard or enhanced check could even be considered, a basic yes but anything else no way.

I too would have contacted dbs offices and queried it with them via email or telephone at the very least, course its up to the employer and boss at the end of the day the boss could easily say due to fraud we can not hire anyone with criminal records etc. Its tricky to then fight any point but your in a no loose situation so at least try contacting dbs and see if they are fair and equal.

heres the dbs contact info:

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/contact-disclosure-and-barring-service

they have a customer services email address :

Disclosure customer services
customerservices@dbs.gsi.gov.uk
Telephone: 0870 909 0811
Minicom: 0870 909 0344
Find out about call charges
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)Supreme Being (30K reputation)

Yes crack on with it and try not to worry. If you are already in the process of working and have been now for a good week then hopefully its just been accepted and sorted and you just crack on with it!
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Personally I would just crack on with it, I suppose you could ring HR and confirm they received all the required paperwork no need to be specific.

Fingers crossed its a positive outcome Sue Smile
AJW83
AJW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)Supreme Being (12K reputation)

Hmm I am afraid to say they maybe in the right Sue unfortunately as you are dealing specifically with vulnerable groups even if it is over the phone, its like the NHS do DBS checks with anyone even if you arent dealing with patients direct.

Still challenge it though as you have nothing to lose.
Sue
Sue
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Thanks for all the advice, I start tomorrow so I'll find out what's happening. I will let you know, it may be good news or bad but I have to think positively and confidently as to why they did not contact me prior to the start date.
Sue
Sue
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)Supreme Being (3K reputation)

Hi guys again, need some more help please. I have now started the job and all was ok, but nothing was said not even in the HR induction, I am confused, do you think they have accepted my letter regarding my convictions? I am getting so paranoid that maybe they have never recived my paperwork back or they lost my letter declaring my convictions, shall I go th HR and ask or just get on with my job???? Thanking you all
Sue
Sue
Sue
Supreme Being

Thank you for your reply, it's helped. I had a look at the job roles but it still seems to me it only should be a basic check which my spent convictions would not have showed, which means I may have let them know my convictions when I should have not done so, which is making me upset. If this is the case, surely they can not ask me about them as they would have never known? I am so confused..... I feel like giving up, why do companies not tell you which check they are doing? As my convictions are spent I do not have any obligation to declare these unless the job is exempt, as it's on the phones in an office with no contact with children or elderly surely it's basic.
GO