theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Standard and Enhanced CRB checks

Standard and Enhanced CRB checks

Author
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I thought they sent a copy to the employer too

Unlock Helpline said...
Hi Stig

The only way your employer would have the results of a DBS check are if you hand over the certificate to them. The Certificate is sent to you and it is down to you to hand the information over.

Also, once an applicant contacts the DBS to query the eligibility of a check, the check is put on hold and nothing is done with it until the DBS have fully investigated eligibility.

RemorseA
RemorseA
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)Supreme Being (7.5K reputation)

Thank you
modelcitizen
modelcitizen
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

This a huge problem and its difficult to know where to start, when you read the exclusions list it gets longer yearly. It really does seem that any job could now qualify for a standard or enhanced check but it is illegal for people not to declare. I contacted my local M.P about illegal and unreasonable standard and enhanced checks and he doesnt seem concerned. He just wrote back saying "I suppose some companies are over vigilant".
There are four company directors in my family and for as long as I can remember they have moaned that they cannot police check employees unless working with vulnerable people unsupervised.
Since the Labour party gifted employers the new checking system they have been very happy.....blanket permission to do whatever they want with just a refusal from the authorities if they step over the line. Unless somebody is prosecuted for requesting a uneccessary standard or enhanced check the monopoly will continue.
We have the same problem as you in construction , I never see a soul at work but they vet us constantly and not just with police checks. With a crb check, credit check, medical check, identity check, and drug test at work it is a total of one more check than when I applied to adopt and foster as Social Services did'nt do a drug test.
The whole thing needs scrapping, there was things wrong with the old system but it was not as intrusive for most . If it had been linked county wide then it would have been enough to protect children which is what it was designed for . Now the system is a gift to employers from the government. The new system will lead to even more people being unemployed.
People need to keep complaining.
modelcitizen
modelcitizen
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)Supreme Being (1.5K reputation)

Sorry to be negative but I have just read the DBS eligibility list again and it seems every job in the country is covered one way or another unless you are shut in a factory all day and then even some. Makes Section 56 seem pointless. Expect shop staff to be added soon as they serve kids.
Its a blanket list for nosey, paranoid employers like some of my loverly relatives smilewinkgrin
modelcitizen
modelcitizen
Supreme Being

AW83 said...
Nice Try said...
https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview

There are 3 types of check.

Standard - £26 - This will check for spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, and will take about 2 weeks.

Enhanced - £44 - This includes the same as the standard check plus any additional information held by local police
that’s reasonably considered relevant to the workforce being applied for (adult, child or ‘other’ workforce). It takes about 4 weeks.

Enhanced with barred list checks - £44 - This is like the enhanced check, but includes a check of the DBS barred lists, and takes about 4 weeks.

forever changes - spent or unspent it matters not when applying for employment, and a basic check is pretty much worthless, unless you want to frame it?
Potential employers apply for one of the above three DBS checks, you can apply for a basic check on yourself, but this is not applicable for employment.

Basic disclosure - If you need to run a check on yourself, you can get a ‘basic disclosure’ with details of any unspent convictions from Disclosure Scotland.

The basic isnt totally useless companies like Royal Mail/Post Office use basic checks through disclosure Scotland as I have seen their HR processes so you can get jobs with decent companies using a basic the problem comes that companies are using whatever tactics to convince DBS or DBS turn a blind eye to allow them to have standards/enhanced checks for roles that dont require it.

This is one of the main problems at present. Companies are chancing, doing it on purpose or misreading their eligibility to do standard/enhanced checks. Until somebody is prosecuted instead of just being knocked back for a unwarranted check by DBS things will not change. That person can then see what its like to have a life sentence.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

100% agree

Current situation being one gets a job and starts work and then a week later is asked to fill in the harmless dbs form.....

followed by I have a funny tummy and go back home to mama bear followed by switching off mobile phone

It would be nice if employees did it properly from start and declared a dbs check is required.

What I fear is employers in UK are abusing the dbs system to make sure the person they hire is cleaner then clean to simply avoid a bad rep or further thought crimes "just in case"

Shame one can not simply arrest the people @ dbs offices for breaking the law (take Morrison supermarket head liner recently) give them all criminal convictions, and replace them with people who follow the law and have clean records.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)Supreme Being (28K reputation)

Great topic and I hope unlock keeps this thread open since it has much important information and debate.

I am not at all shocked a simple warehouse position requires a dbs check, I have always said this and will say it again its an illegal check and should be treated as an criminal offence, as previously said until its its challenged and employers are prosecuted and they understand the consequences then nothing will change.

One can protest this with dbs, but lets not forget dbs continue to break the law on a daily basis themselves (see the Morrison's supermarket running dbs checks on shelf fillers/warehouse jobs article) they claimed they have a reputation and quality to uphold but what difference is there from someone stacking baked bean tins or working in the warehouse ? None

No ones going to challenge the employer since you are the one going to them for a job and money its not like you have the job already.

I do enjoy that quote from the MP on dbs checks ""I suppose some companies are over vigilant" this is England defined to the very core. I guess that since only 10 million brits have police records the other 40 million are safe so it does not matter, the other 10 million can continue unemployed I guess.

Its sad to hear dbs checks are being asked on warehouse roles since that job role is the most basic and involves stacking boxes and counting stuff it also means just about every company is asking for a dbs check then it means no one has any hope to gain employment.

Still it is positive to hear the basic dbs check by royal mail and some government jobs being asked upon.... but anyone with a criminal conviction spent or unspent the dbs check still shows it all so no chance again.

If anyone wants to start a commune where one can simply be and have privacy and right to living and working life let me know and ill sign up Wink
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

AW83:

Would a dbs check not show past offences anyhow ? Ones that are even off the ROA that was my understanding of it.

An office job is not working solely with elderly or children so I would imagine is in breach of law.
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being

The Stig said...
Any think that is not on the exempt list should be a basic check. When posting job,s online employers should state what level of check they want. This is what i can not understand about employers if they are doing checks what they are't eligible for and it's an offence why are they not being prosecuted for it it's an offence full stop.

I know IanC is not here anymore but every think he said what was going to happen about the R.O.A and DBS is right.

I agree in fact have often touted how we do not really have a proper job list and job roles or a list with company names that are allowed to run checks and not. It is really the only list that would really help anyone of the 10 million people in uk with a tainted record.

It also allows us to prosecute employers which commit crimes.

Issue being is half the issues are coming from dbs offices breaking the law anyhow, seems they enjoy letting employers just run random checks or as many as they want.

I think no one has ever attempted to complain or prosecute a company since they were not employed with since it would be 100% pointless also money and time consuming and this allows employers and dbs offices to continue to break the law.

As Ian always said self employment or moving abroad is the only option!
AW83
AW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)Supreme Being (4.2K reputation)

Damag3d said...
AW83:

Would a dbs check not show past offences anyhow ? Ones that are even off the ROA that was my understanding of it.

An office job is not working solely with elderly or children so I would imagine is in breach of law.

Unfortunately the job whilst not being exempt can still request a basic check which is what a lot of companies are doing not many roles now that I have seen where you dont need some kind of check it was annoying as if it had come through a 3 weeks earlier they wouldnt have needed to recheck me as i was with an agency and i had a check done pre offence, I almost think you are better targeting smaller local companies who dont have a dedicated hr as they will be less likely to do checks, ah well time is flying by cant believe its been 4 months since i have been out of work so next october will come round quick I just feel sorry for these people who have 10 years or will never be spent which I think should be disputed as a breach of human rights keeping a record for serious offenders is one thing but never allowing them to feel they can be redeemed is simply not fair.

Totally agree stig best of it is the obvious jobs that you know will be checked schools, nhs they all put that they require a check and what level.
GO