theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

its too late now. But some clarifty from those of you that may know more than me would be useful.......

its too late now. But some clarifty from those of you that may know...

Author
The Stig
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)Supreme Being (9.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I am not to sure about the first cautions but the second one yes. I am afraid this will follow you around were ever you go. Really your rehabilitation period is spent but as I have said before Its the DBS employers are doing need to be clamped down and i am afraid this will not change any time soon.

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?

We all accept our crimes but should we be punished more for it?
AW83
AW83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)Supreme Being (4K reputation)

yes and no depends how far they go with the DBS check if it is basic no it wouldn't flag with either, for an enhanced I think the older offence would be filtered I am not too sure though the newer one definitely wouldn't.

This is the trouble unfortunately society wants us to be open and honest and look what happens when we do.

I have been offered a temp role just desperate for cash to be honest but because I havent been provided any work for 3 months I have to go through the vetting again I am not sure what it will consist of I am hoping it is just the basic prove who are ones and not a DBS as I will have to give it up.

Sorry to hear about job though CJ but chalk it up to experience and I am sure something else will present itself especially considering how far you got with that role.

*update* Well I had the paperwork sent through for that temp job DBS check needs to be done so no job for me Sad

Post Edited (AW83) : 27/03/2014 15:34:01 GMT

Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Agreed the first caution would have been rubbed off any PNC/police records since it was under 18, the one over 18 is the one that sticks.

Basic job checks as long as your cautions spent should not show up, you can pay scotland basic job check
https://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/basicdisclosureonline/index.htm

Can't be 100% but from what I hear cautions will not show up on this basic job check report, only in a basic/enhanced dbs check a caution (spent/unspent) will show up.

The job role you applied for involves under 18s and direct contact with them so a enhanced dbs check would have been run, and sadly anything involving drugs or anything for that matter and people fall into that ill cover my backside first approach and won't risk my own job, great society we have as you see.

You are not the only one even people that receive a caution for speeding get the same treatment...

While cautions are not a criminal conviction (only courts can convict you and give criminal conviction) its a bad character reference, and since no one follows the law they will continue to discriminate against you.

But I would advise you check your careers and job roles in future, try job roles that are not subject to dbs checks. Sadly no full on list exist, but smaller roles like retail, shops, offices, admin should be for the most part except from a dbs check but you sadly only find out once you got your foot in the door.

Personally I think its overrated and you done nothing wrong and you are even more normal then normal !
Victor H
Victor H
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

Yup the last caution the one over 18 stays with you till 100 years old to stain your good name and character and prevent job prospects.

What you mentioned is 100% correct though your caution or past has no relevancy with your work and skills or ability to work with elderly or children, and am sure it had no effect before the caution which is important yet ignored by the government and UK people.

Self employment or working with friends or family or low level jobs and job roles which do not require standard or enhanced checks is perhaps the only key.
digitalangel
digitalangel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)

Hello all,

My name is Cj. I'm a 32 year old Facilities Manager.

I was recently successful is a three-stage interview at a very well known English North West Premier League football team for a property management position (managing H&S, maintenance, security ect) .

The property in question was used to train up-and-coming footballers (under 18's). So, at the end of the process they made the offer subject to references and DBS clearance. This worried me as I have the following:

2001 - Possession of Class B drugs
2013 (June) - Possession Class A drugs

Both cautions (not convictons). ie stopped and searched and had small quantity of something I shouldn't of had. in 2001 I was young and naïve and last summer I was going through a difficult time. Neither are acceptable excuses and I accept responsibility fully for my actions.  

I researched whether they would show up on a DBS and couldn't quite figure it out so I thought honesty is the best policy. I informed the Club and they duly revoked their job offer. I was gutted. But once again, accept responsibility for my actions.

My questions is, have I shot myself in the foot? Would they have shown up on DBS check? I have emailed DBS to ask them. But thought someone here may well know?

Any experiences or advice appreciated

Thanks
Cj

digitalangel
digitalangel
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)Supreme Being (954 reputation)

Thanks both for the info.
I think it would have been enhanced due to the children and young adults, and therefore would have shown both cautions.

Therefore I don't think I have shot myself in the foot. Simply pre-empted the inevitable.

Had a "congrats on your new job" card as well this morning in the post from the recruitment consultant that lined the role up!!

It's annoying because it in no way reflects my ability to do my job. I'm a professional, driven, able person. And perfectly safe around children and young adults. I know how to conduct myself appropriately and discharges my duties in the way that would be expected of someone carrying out my role.

Live and learn. @Dam - you're right, a need to pay more attention to the kind of roles I apply for. 
digitalangel
digitalangel
Supreme Being

just for clarification, am I right in thinking that these two black marks will follow me around till my 100th birthday? ie. they'll show up on all standard/enhanced DBS checks till my 100th birthday (providing there are no law or Gov policy changes between now and then) ???
GO