theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Legal Field

Legal Field

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Sky - 21 Oct 16 11:22 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in. 

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on seeking a career in the legal field- specifically, in becoming a solicitor. I've been working really hard to become a lawyer since starting university. I thoroughly enjoy studying the English and Welsh law and I'm eager to study other legal systems around the world. I managed to complete my law degree, despite all the obstacles that I've had to face. I have a real passion in utilising the knowledge I have to benefit people. Throughout my incarceration, I found myself giving out legal advice (to the best of my knowledge) to other inmates to help bring some level of relief towards their distress.

My conviction (and 18 months custodial sentence) has literally turned my world upside down. I have no idea if I could ever go into this field again. I debate with myself sometimes, thinking, perhaps there are other careers that I should pursue instead. But my family and friends (as well as career personality tests) consistently suggest  that I take the route to becoming a lawyer.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Hi Sky

Thanks for your post.

As you may be aware, the route to qualification requires an individual to meet the requirements set out in the Solicitors Act 1974 which ensures that anybody entering the profession is of 'satisfactory character and suitability'.

The Solicitors Regulation Authority states that:

Criminal offences
Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we will refuse your application if you have been convicted by acourt of a criminal offence:
(a)
for which you received a custodial or suspended sentence;
(b)
involving dishonesty, fraud, perjury and/or bribery;
(c)
specifically in relation to which you have been included on the Violent and Sex Offender Register;
(d)
associated with obstructing the course of justice;
(e)
which demonstrated behaviour showing signs of discrimination towards others;
(f)
associated with terrorism;
(g)
which was racially aggravated;
(h)
which was motivated by any of the "protected" characteristics defined within the Equality Act 2010;
(i)
which in our judgment is so serious as to prevent commencement or continuation of a period ofrecognised training, admission as a solicitor, or approval as an authorised role holder; and/or
(j)
you have been convicted by a court of more than one criminal offence.

However, you can apply for an early assessment by completing an application for Eligibility to commence a period of recognised training which may provide you with additional information about your chances of success.

Have a look at our information hub page - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/becoming-a-solicitor/, which provides a personal story of somebody with a criminal conviction successfully becoming a solicitor. I'd always recommend that somebody gets a definitive answer (in this case from the SRA) before they look to peruse other avenues. 

Hope this helps and good luck 

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Sky
Sky
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)Supreme Being (571 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this is the right section to post in. 

I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice on seeking a career in the legal field- specifically, in becoming a solicitor. I've been working really hard to become a lawyer since starting university. I thoroughly enjoy studying the English and Welsh law and I'm eager to study other legal systems around the world. I managed to complete my law degree, despite all the obstacles that I've had to face. I have a real passion in utilising the knowledge I have to benefit people. Throughout my incarceration, I found myself giving out legal advice (to the best of my knowledge) to other inmates to help bring some level of relief towards their distress.

My conviction (and 18 months custodial sentence) has literally turned my world upside down. I have no idea if I could ever go into this field again. I debate with myself sometimes, thinking, perhaps there are other careers that I should pursue instead. But my family and friends (as well as career personality tests) consistently suggest  that I take the route to becoming a lawyer.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Sky
GO