theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Insurance of a service

Insurance of a service

Author
Runner83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
I have a registered web business.

I provide advice on how to write.

Would I need insurance for such  a service?

What type of insurance would I need?

Please reply soonest.
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)

Runner83 - 19 Nov 16 4:53 PM

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

If you are working from home and have nobody working for you then I doubt whether you would need any specific insurance.

However I would check with your current house insurer that your policy covers your property for this purpose.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Runner83
Runner83
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)Supreme Being (1.8K reputation)

Deb S - 21 Nov 16 9:03 AM

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

If you are working from home and have nobody working for you then I doubt whether you would need any specific insurance.

However I would check with your current house insurer that your policy covers your property for this purpose.

Debs 

In reply, hi Debs

I am working from home. I am talking about insurance for my website. Point is,  don't want to be held liable because of the instruction on the website. Other than you I don't know who to talk to. Could I be held liable?

Runner83

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)

Runner83 - 21 Nov 16 9:19 AM

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

Debs 

In reply, hi Debs

I am working from home. I am talking about insurance for my website. Point is,  don't want to be held liable because of the instruction on the website. Other than you I don't know who to talk to. Could I be held liable?

Runner83

It's likely that you might need professional indemnity insurance. We're not insurance experts and it would probably be worth you having a look at our List of Brokers and https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/list-insurance-brokers/ seeking advice from one of them as to what you may need.  You don't have to disclose any details of your offence at this point, just sound them out.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Yankee
Yankee
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)Supreme Being (27K reputation)

There is a simpler first step to take if you haven't done so already - make your users click to accept your website terms and conditions of use. In the T&C's, make sure you include a clause that states you will not be liable for any loss or damages, including consequential damages, from the use of your website.

There are several legal websites from where you can download a set of standard T&C's relevant to your specific website/business.

Per Deb, professional indemnity insurance will give you even more peace of mind.
james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Deb S - 21 Nov 16 2:19 PM

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

Debs 

In reply, hi Debs

Runner83

It's likely that you might need professional indemnity insurance. We're not insurance experts and it would probably be worth you having a look at our List of Brokers and https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/list-insurance-brokers/ seeking advice from one of them as to what you may need.  You don't have to disclose any details of your offence at this point, just sound them out.

Debs 

Hi - i was going to suggest this... I work in IT so if there is anything I can support you with let me know
james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)Supreme Being (9.5K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

Debs 

In reply, hi Debs

Runner83

Depending on what they're submitting you you might want to look at SSL connection on your website too
Runner83
Runner83
Supreme Being

james gtr manchester - 29 Nov 16 10:49 PM

Please reply soonest.

Hi Runner83

Debs 

In reply, hi Debs

Runner83

Depending on what they're submitting you you might want to look at SSL connection on your website too

The good thing about my website is, they need submit noting. All Users of the website would have to do is read my website. They could then put this knowledge to use and it would assist them write a document.
Runner83

GO