theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Help - Are my new employers able to do a DBS check on me

Help - Are my new employers able to do a DBS check on me

Author
Frances
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)Supreme Being (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hello everybody

I wonder if somebody can give me some advice.

I've just been offered a job as a gardener working for a company that sometimes does gardening jobs in schools. I've got a conviction for benefit fraud which is now spent but my employers have just told me that as I may be going into schools every now and again that I'll need an enhanced DBS check.

I've read up on filtering and I know that my conviction was less than 11 years ago so it will show up. I'm really embarrassed and ashamed about this and I really don't want to have to explain it to my new boss. I got on really well with him but I'm sure he'll look at me differently if he knows that I've got a criminal record.

It would be so good if I only had to have a basic check.

What do you think?

Frances
james gtr manchester
james gtr manchester
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)Supreme Being (10K reputation)

Group: Awaiting Activation
Frances - 25 Jan 17 5:33 PM
Hello everybody

I wonder if somebody can give me some advice.

I've just been offered a job as a gardener working for a company that sometimes does gardening jobs in schools. I've got a conviction for benefit fraud which is now spent but my employers have just told me that as I may be going into schools every now and again that I'll need an enhanced DBS check.

I've read up on filtering and I know that my conviction was less than 11 years ago so it will show up. I'm really embarrassed and ashamed about this and I really don't want to have to explain it to my new boss. I got on really well with him but I'm sure he'll look at me differently if he knows that I've got a criminal record.

It would be so good if I only had to have a basic check.

What do you think?

Frances

I dont think that it will matter, and I really hope that it doesn't / didn't cause a problem. What was the outcome?
GO