theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Second reading in the House of Lords to amend the ROA

Second reading in the House of Lords to amend the ROA

Author
shamps
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)Supreme Being (259 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Hi all, 

First time joining the forums.  Hope I can share my thoughts and advice as well. 

Shame that Govt. has broken up for the GE - hopefully this will possibly gain traction once more.   I dont think that the proposals go far enough - the sentence and rehabilitation are one thing but the proposals need to ensure that a person is able to remove his/her digital footprint as well - easily and quickly. 

The DPA has exclusions which allow the press to report on convictions but the DPA does not specify that the press have to remove the story - the provisions of the GDPR will bring further enhancements under the right to erasure but even then, the press is not being forced to remove the digital versions of the stories.   

Hopefully we can push for legislative changes where someone requests the story to be removed. 
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)

Cutehs2 - 9 Feb 17 5:16 PM
Thank you, Debbie. 

I am eagerly awaiting updates on the filtering appeal. I hope the news is positive. BigGrin

Yes - we're all keeping our fingers crossed here as well.

We all know that there are thousands more people that filtering could help if only the criteria were amended to include multiple offences.  

We'll keep you posted.

Debs

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Cutehs2
Cutehs2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)

Thank you, Debbie. 

I am eagerly awaiting updates on the filtering appeal. I hope the news is positive. BigGrin
Edited
3 Years Ago by Cutehs2
Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)Supreme Being (87K reputation)

Cutehs2 - 9 Feb 17 10:13 AM
I am slightly confused. Does this "second reading" relate to this: https://www.unlock.org.uk/filtering-appeal/

Hi

The 'second reading' relates to further changes to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. You can find further information at https://www.unlock.org.uk/policy-issues/specific-policy-issues/further-reform-to-the-roa/

The filtering appeal is a separate issue and is listed to be heard in court this month.

Sorry for any confusion.

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
Cutehs2
Cutehs2
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)Supreme Being (5K reputation)

I am slightly confused. Does this "second reading" relate to this: https://www.unlock.org.uk/filtering-appeal/
CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Deb S - 6 Feb 17 8:54 AM
CC - 5 Feb 17 11:22 PM
Deb S - 1 Feb 17 8:26 AM
Hi Guys 

Not sure if you've seen this on the main Unlock website but Chris Stacey has commented on Lord Ramsbotham's Private Members Bill on amending the ROA. 

You can read more here

Debs 

After my release from prison I like many others found it all but impossible to get a job. After countless cv`s with no success I even resorted to visiting potential employers ad hoc on the off chance of an interview. Again with no luck so like others I decided to go self employed and start my own business. I have I am pleased to say been fairly successful. The nature of my business doesn't require me to meet my customers face to face so risk to the public is minimal although not relevant in my case anyway with my work. My sentence was more than enough so my offence is never spent. Having to perpetually declare this (even years down the line) has however a big bearing on obtaining business insurance at anything like a competitive rate. Its a rather large chunk out of my profit each year and the disclosure totally pointless in public protection, just allowing the insurers a reason to greatly over charge. This I could really do without, the only up side if it is one is that I can offset the insurance cost against my tax every year. Crazy situation really.

Hi CC

Not sure who you're getting your insurance through at the moment. Have you tried using one of the brokers on our list - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/list-insurance-brokers/.  There are a few on here that offer business insurance and the feedback we've had is that they are fairly competitive.  Might be worth doing a comparison when your policy is up for renewal.

Really pleased to hear that your business is doing well.  Out of interest, is your business related to something you were doing before your conviction or something completely different. The helpline receives lots of calls from people who, despite seeing the benefits of becoming self-employed, don't feel that they have any practical skills that they can utilise. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Debs 

Hi Debs, thanks for the kind thought. I did spend considerable time ringing round and am fairly sure that I have the best I could get whilst having to disclose my (now several years old) offence. My current business is quite far from my previous vocation. I entered into this as a necessity with no experience and learnt from trial and error. It will never make me a millionaire but the stress factor (contributing factor to my offence) is so much lower than my previous work I quite enjoy it.
Going to prison forced such big changes in my life that a new job direction was in comparison a small change I could handle.

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

CC - 5 Feb 17 11:22 PM
Hi Guys 

Not sure if you've seen this on the main Unlock website but Chris Stacey has commented on Lord Ramsbotham's Private Members Bill on amending the ROA. 

You can read more here

Debs 

After my release from prison I like many others found it all but impossible to get a job. After countless cv`s with no success I even resorted to visiting potential employers ad hoc on the off chance of an interview. Again with no luck so like others I decided to go self employed and start my own business. I have I am pleased to say been fairly successful. The nature of my business doesn't require me to meet my customers face to face so risk to the public is minimal although not relevant in my case anyway with my work. My sentence was more than enough so my offence is never spent. Having to perpetually declare this (even years down the line) has however a big bearing on obtaining business insurance at anything like a competitive rate. Its a rather large chunk out of my profit each year and the disclosure totally pointless in public protection, just allowing the insurers a reason to greatly over charge. This I could really do without, the only up side if it is one is that I can offset the insurance cost against my tax every year. Crazy situation really.

Hi CC

Not sure who you're getting your insurance through at the moment. Have you tried using one of the brokers on our list - https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/list-insurance-brokers/.  There are a few on here that offer business insurance and the feedback we've had is that they are fairly competitive.  Might be worth doing a comparison when your policy is up for renewal.

Really pleased to hear that your business is doing well.  Out of interest, is your business related to something you were doing before your conviction or something completely different. The helpline receives lots of calls from people who, despite seeing the benefits of becoming self-employed, don't feel that they have any practical skills that they can utilise. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Debs 

CC
CC
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)Supreme Being (20K reputation)

Hi Guys 

You can read more here

Debs 

Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being

Hi Guys 

You can read more here

Debs 

GO