theForum is run by the charity Unlock. We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions but we may intervene and take any action as we think necessary. Further details can be found in our terms of use. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report-a-post button or email us at forum@unlock.org.uk.

Differences in Rehabilitation times

Differences in Rehabilitation times

Author
Debbie Sadler
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)Supreme Being (85K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
davinci1 - 31 Jul 17 6:25 PM

Hello 

I'm looking for advice on applying for a job in England with convictions.

While my convictions are unspent in Northern Ireland, they are, under differences in law they, considered spent in England and wales thanks to a reduction in rehabilitation times in 2014. 

Is it possible to have the English Legislation applied to my basic check because I'm applying for a job in England or do I need an address there first?

Thank you

Hi Davinci

Do you know whether the basic check will be carried out by Disclosure Scotland or Access NI?

If it's being done by Disclosure Scotland they can use the legislation applicable to the country where the company is registered. So, if you're working in England for a company registered and based in England, then you can elect that Disclosure Scotland use English law which by the sound of it would mean that your certificate would come back 'clean' as your conviction would be spent. 

Have a look at our FAQ's on the ROA. There's a similar question near the bottom -https://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/faqs-on-roa-and-basic-disclosures/.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Debs 

Need Unlocks advice? Visit our self-help information site or contact our helpline
davinci1
davinci1
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)Supreme Being (530 reputation)

Group: Forum Members

Hello 

I'm looking for advice on applying for a job in England with convictions.

While my convictions are unspent in Northern Ireland, they are, under differences in law they, considered spent in England and wales thanks to a reduction in rehabilitation times in 2014. 

Is it possible to have the English Legislation applied to my basic check because I'm applying for a job in England or do I need an address there first?

Thank you

Edited
3 Years Ago by davinci1
GO